Author Topic: Cutt-off toggle switch.  (Read 15572 times)

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Re: Cutt-off toggle switch.
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 10:56:02 AM »
I just got a basic on/off toggle switch.  I was thinking of using the wire from starter solonoid. I have an auto trans.  If that starter dont engage, she aint starting!!  Only way to steal is to tow.
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2015, 09:02:39 PM »
Where does that starter solonoid red wire begin? (it ends at the starter)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 08:31:14 AM by philobeddoe »
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 12:39:29 PM »
Will this work as a cut off toggle switch. .79 cents.

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 01:47:58 PM »
I highly recommend using automotive grade parts for autos and not home electrical parts. There's a reason they are to different industries with different standards.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 02:44:49 PM »
All the switch does is complete the connection. But okay, i'll get a regular toggle switch.

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 10:44:38 AM »
Oh, BTW, can someone tell me where under the dash is the started solenoid wire, or is it even there, or should I just follow it up from the starter to splice into. I don't want to make the connection on the outside, obviously because I have to get at the toggle switch.

Offline Jason S

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 09:59:57 PM »
A fuel lock off valve could also work for what you're trying. 

Place in the fuel line somewhere, on my propane setup it's between the gasoline fuel pump and carburetor.  The valve is normally biased closed unless 12v is applied; operation can be with a toggle switch. On a pure gasoline setup, the truck might get started but will only go as far as the fuel in the carburetor bowl will allow.

1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2015, 10:06:53 AM »
Good idea, but i dont even want them to leave the driveway! Where does that red starter solonoid wire lead to?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2015, 08:05:29 AM »
my mom is in a wheel chair and she has a lift inside of her van, this lift has a wireless remote to control it. for some reason the battery kept dying. i tested the resting draw on all the circuits the only thing i found was too high was the lift so i pulled the fuse for the lift and the battery would stay charged. the people who put the lift in said the lift isnt the problem and she has another problem evn though we know with it unplugged the batter will stay charged. so cause they are ignorant i rigged up a light switch much like you posted and placed in inline with the 5 amp fuse that was in the circuit. the main thing when using something like that is you have to think of the amps that will be used, yeah its rated at 120 volts but the amps are usually around 10-15. so if you find a circuit that only draws 15 amps or less (depending on the switch amp rating) then a A/C light switch will work just fine. a switch is still a switch regardless of A/C or D/C, motors or relays are a different story.

Now getting back to your ride you might find it easier to tap into the 12v red wire on the distributor so this way they can try to start it and you could hear the engine try but not start. or you can wire up a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) switch. this type of switch will have a toggle switch that has 2 positions.(L1) would be to the starter (L2) would be to the horn. then you have your (COM) as the power wire from the switch. so as soon as someone turns the key on or to start your horn will start going off. this will prob scare anyone and they will take off running. i think i like this ideal myself lol

If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Cutt-off toggle switch.
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2015, 06:46:29 PM »
Great feedback! I believe i will go with the dist. wire and a basic single pole toggle.  On/Off, and will easily slip through the firewall to hide under dash. Thanks.

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2015, 07:45:13 PM »

Now getting back to your ride you might find it easier to tap into the 12v red wire on the distributor so this way they can try to start it and you could hear the engine try but not start. or you can wire up a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) switch. this type of switch will have a toggle switch that has 2 positions.(L1) would be to the starter (L2) would be to the horn. then you have your (COM) as the power wire from the switch. so as soon as someone turns the key on or to start your horn will start going off. this will prob scare anyone and they will take off running. i think i like this ideal myself lol

The horn thing is very effective. I still remember using a cheap motion detector light from Walmart, one of the old horns off the truck and an small invertor from an old battery charger in my back yard. Most people and animals expect the light but never the horn. Actually it worked so well that I never had to remove anymore pesky bird nest from the porch or shed. My Pit wouldn't even go out side for the first week it scared her so bad!
"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2015, 08:19:07 PM »
I would love a horn to go off if anyone is ever creeping around out there. The deer wont like it, haha.

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2015, 08:48:18 PM »
Best cheap as security trick I ever did...nonlethal that is. My new neighborhood wouldn't take to kindly to it but neither did the condo association back in Va.

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2015, 09:34:56 PM »
It looks like military housing your in...

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2015, 08:15:20 AM »
On I was when you picked up the tire carrier but last Friday I drove down to southeast Georgia in that big blue thing with 2200lbs of cargo tagging along in the bed and front seat. Now I in a hotel with the wife four kids and the dog waiting to close on our house. The hotel people surely wouldn't appreciate it and our soon to be new neighborhood is a lot more up scale thank housing or the hotel, so I'm sure they would have a lot of meetings about me. Probably start a HOA just to formally have meetings.