Author Topic: Headunit cuts in and out  (Read 11051 times)

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
  • Dallas, TX Daily Driver
Re: Headunit cuts in and out
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 12:26:09 PM »

[quote
As for the Red one, right now its connected to the factory stereo harness. Is this okay or should I wire it straight to the fuse box like you said.

And as for the orange, there is no orange coming out of the stereo at all? But its still getting illuminated, so i guess thats fine.

If it's hooked up to the factory harness I would leave it. No sense in putting more wires in than you need.
I looked at the picture of the back of the stereo again. It looks like you don't have a dimmer function. All that wire would do is dimm the light down when you turned your head lights on.
[/quote]

Alright cool. So I just moved the Yellow constant 12V to one of those empty spots I had circled.

I'm gonna take her for a spin. Fingers crossed!
86 Swb GMC, 2/2 drop, stock 305/350, Quadrajet, Dual Tanks, 3.08 gears, Rally wheels

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 12:32:25 PM »
Well that didn't do it. I didn't have to get very far either. I was just rolling back and forth on my driveway and it's still cutting out exactly like before :(

Anything else I can try?
86 Swb GMC, 2/2 drop, stock 305/350, Quadrajet, Dual Tanks, 3.08 gears, Rally wheels

Offline Burkhalter

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 12:39:39 PM »
Connections at the speakers mabey?? If not I would try to get a hold of vile zombie or Irish alley. They're way better at this.

'85 Chevy K10 361ci sm465

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2016, 12:44:38 PM »
Connections at the speakers mabey?? If not I would try to get a hold of vile zombie or Irish alley. They're way better at this.
Yeah I read that sometimes the speaker wire can come loose and get magnetized by the speakers magnet and cause these sort of issues.

I have the dash off because I got all new speakers on the way. I'm gonna go ahead and rip out all the old speakers and see if that helps any.

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 01:08:33 PM »
I tried removing all the speakers and the stereo is still turning off and then back on :-\

It seems like it's the worst when I drop it in gear and the rpm's are low enough to make the truck shake.

It's really not liking any vibrations.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 01:10:47 PM by boulky12 »

Offline winky

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2016, 01:15:14 PM »
i would run a positive wire straight from the battery to the radio. after that i would ground the radio with an o connector to a bolt inside the cab (make sure it has a good clean bare metal spot to ground) sounds like a power/ground supply issue. the yellow wire is the memory wire, it keeps your programed stations in your radio it can be ran to any all time power source ( it only draws like .2 amps)

Offline Burkhalter

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2016, 02:00:51 PM »
I tried removing all the speakers and the stereo is still turning off and then back on :-\

It seems like it's the worst when I drop it in gear and the rpm's are low enough to make the truck shake.

How are the wires from the firewall to the battery?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

'85 Chevy K10 361ci sm465

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2016, 08:17:27 PM »
i would run a positive wire straight from the battery to the radio. after that i would ground the radio with an o connector to a bolt inside the cab (make sure it has a good clean bare metal spot to ground) sounds like a power/ground supply issue. the yellow wire is the memory wire, it keeps your programed stations in your radio it can be ran to any all time power source ( it only draws like .2 amps)

So I just tried this.

I ran a power wire straight from the battery to the radio.

As for the ground, I didn't use the o connector to a bolt inside the cab cuz I couldn't find a good bolt. So I used one of the open ground connections right there above the parking brake pedal, with the proper connector, which I took off another truck.

Nothing changed. It's cutting out just like before.

I don't know if this will help but it seems like it likes to cut out right in the middle of me going from park to reverse.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 08:39:27 PM by boulky12 »

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2016, 08:20:29 PM »

How are the wires from the firewall to the battery?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

If you're talking about the wires that come out of the drivers side firewall, behind the motor, down to the starter, and back up to the battery, then these all look good.

Offline winky

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2016, 08:34:51 PM »
does the radio shut off or stay on and just lose sound?

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2016, 08:36:46 PM »
does the radio shut off or stay on and just lose sound?

It actually shuts off.

Offline winky

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2016, 08:46:54 PM »
ok, so we are worried about power not speakers. a bad ground is still a possibility, i know they've caused me a ton of head aches before.  Another quick test, run a ground directly from the battery as well. you may want jump the red and yellow together (main power from battery with both yellow and red wire twisted to it) in-case its losing power. if that doesn't help i would get a multi meter and check battery while someone put it in revers, you could have something lose and shorting out causing the issue. If straight wiring it to the battery fixes it then check each wire for power while someone put it in reverse and look for a voltage drop. also check original negative for voltage drop when putting it in reverse. if you find one of the wires is losing voltage start tracing back to the fuse box

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2016, 08:54:42 PM »
ok, so we are worried about power not speakers. a bad ground is still a possibility, i know they've caused me a ton of head aches before.  Another quick test, run a ground directly from the battery as well. you may want jump the red and yellow together (main power from battery with both yellow and red wire twisted to it) in-case its losing power. if that doesn't help i would get a multi meter and check battery while someone put it in revers, you could have something lose and shorting out causing the issue. If straight wiring it to the battery fixes it then check each wire for power while someone put it in reverse and look for a voltage drop. also check original negative for voltage drop when putting it in reverse. if you find one of the wires is losing voltage start tracing back to the fuse box

Alright I'll give these a shot tomorrow in the daylight. Thanks for the ideas winky

Offline winky

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2016, 09:02:58 PM »
any time bud. im sure its something simple. always is, lol.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2016, 10:11:12 PM »
Normally I don't chime into radio issues cause I know we have better people for this. But clear something up when you unhooked the speakers how did you do that? I would of took the wire nuts off every wire and disconnected each on on the stereo side of the pigtail. Then either capped them off or put tape on them and only have a new hot wire wired into the power and memory and then a new ground. If the radio still shuts down and powers back up would say it's a radio issue itself and might be time for a replacement. Unless it's a bad connection right in the back of the radio.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes