Author Topic: Anybody had this problem?  (Read 4738 times)

Offline colton hicks

Anybody had this problem?
« on: January 12, 2012, 07:13:11 PM »
Okay so lately when I start my truck theres been a noise that sounds kinda like someone holding there fingers across a fan blade coming from my passenger side dash area. Has anyone had this problem before? It happens occasionally when I'm driving to.

1980 Chevrolet C10 Silverado, 350 with 4 barrel carter quad recently rebuilt, new shocks, ball joints, bed rails,  steering gearbox, gauge cluster and mirrors. First build/love affair. I recently upgraded from a shadetree to a concrete driveway. Lol

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Anybody had this problem?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 07:47:53 PM »
Welcome from Central California.  Glad to have you with us!

Maybe some debris is in the heater-A/C ducts rubbing the squirrel cage.  It's not uncommon to have mice build middens in the heater ducting.  Then again, sometimes paper electrical insulation inside the blower motor will lightly drag against the windings and make a muffled clicking noise similar to (albeit quieter than) the sound cardboard makes when it rubs against the spokes of a child's bicycle.  The 'clicking' noise may come and go as you accelerate and brake or turn corners.  And, sometimes noise can be generated by air in the cooling system as it flushes back to the motor or radiator; this one is most common after a cold start while first reving the engine.  What year model is your truck?  Engine?  With or w/o A/C?  Does it change with blower speed?  Etc?

Is it possible the noise is coming from the engine compartment?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:50:07 PM by bd »
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline colton hicks

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 08:10:27 PM »
Its a 1980 c10 silverado with air conditioning and a 5.7 liter 4 barrel 350. Speed and corners doesnt affect it. And it will just randomly start and then abrubtly stop. the fan speed does nothing to affect it.  I jusr bought it a month ago and it looks to be in good condition besides years of daily wear and tear so I wouldn't think it would have any trash or debris buildup.
1980 Chevrolet C10 Silverado, 350 with 4 barrel carter quad recently rebuilt, new shocks, ball joints, bed rails,  steering gearbox, gauge cluster and mirrors. First build/love affair. I recently upgraded from a shadetree to a concrete driveway. Lol

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 08:18:58 PM »
Topped off full of coolant?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline colton hicks

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 09:03:07 PM »
Yep I keep a close eye on my fluids. It hasnt been running any hotter than usual either.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 06:31:46 AM »
     I am with BD, I would check the blower motor and the squirrel cage.  The squirrel cage's are balanced, if it throws a weight or becomes unbalanced they will warp and then might start to hit in one spot.  Or the shaft might have slightly bent and at certain speeds or at start up it might hit.
     It is easy to check and at least you can eliminate that as a problem.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline colton hicks

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 07:09:58 AM »
Okay ill certainly check that out first thanks for the help

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 09:14:31 AM »
i had leafs in mine
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bobcooter

• 1979 Scottsdale C-20
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 12:39:58 PM »
Me too.
'79 C-20, 350/400, 3:73 gears, 9 leafs and a headache rack
Favorite Quote, "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Offline colton hicks

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 03:12:21 PM »
Well I took the blower off today and the fan wasn't attached to the motor straight so it was  grinding against the sides when the fan was turned on low speeds. So I straightend it out and oiled rhe motor now it works great. Thanks for the help guys.