Author Topic: Repro Tachs  (Read 4330 times)

Offline andyman86

Repro Tachs
« on: October 19, 2012, 10:45:14 AM »
I realize there are a lot of tach related threads but I think this one is a little different, so please bear with me here. 

I have a 86 Silverado manual without a factory installed tach in the dash.  Seems to be a common thing.   I've done a search for "tachs" and gone through all the custom install tach threads and factory conversion threads and found lots of good advice and tips.  See, the previous owner of my truck wired this hideous AutoMeter to the top of the steering column and its annoying, ugly and in the way.  I've always wanted to install a factory-looking tach where the huge gas gauge is and replace that huge gas gauge with a small one in the open slot in the corner.  Seems like lots of guys share my desire.  Now there's a new hope; I was just on a site yesterday and they have a new product:  repro tachs that fit 73-87 trucks and look exactly like a factory original.  So I wanted to know, does anyone have any idea what kinda project this would be?  Would this require a new wiring circuit like some other projects I've seen on here?  What am I getting myself into?  Thanks as always.

P.S. They also offer wiring harnesses at an additional cost.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 11:02:35 AM by Captkaos »

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Repro Tachs
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 11:14:36 AM »
1982-1987(91) 10, 20 and 30 series trucks NEVER had a tach offered.  The only versions compatible (bolt in) are the 78-81, the only that are compatible AND match the font is the 1981.
This is not a simple task of putting a tach in the place of a Fuel gauge and a fuel gague in the place of something else.  Unless you get your cluster setup to mimic a 1981 and get the printed circuit and the tach gauge and the fuel gauge, it won't work, in addition, if you do that, you will still have to repin all of your cluster plug wiring. 

This isn't something new, they have been selling the gauges for years.  They are also only as accurate as factory ones and that tach is expensive.

I use these now (I used to buy/sell Tach clusters years ago) http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=7&Product_Code=VHX-73C-PU&Category_Code=7G
I know they are accurate.

Offline andyman86

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 11:26:34 AM »
Thanks Captkaos!  I was afraid this was a major project, looks like I was right.  But I really appreciate the info. 

I have seen the Dokota Digital stuff around but this isn't a show truck so I feel the cost is too high for what I need.  Maybe one day I can justify spending that much if I get a whole bunch of other stuff done first.  At least now I know my options. 

Great stuff as always, thank you.

Offline RedV10

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 09:46:22 AM »
Check this out. http://gmsportssalvage.com/?q=node/1530 Don't know anything about them. If you try one, post up a review with you pics.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Offline Rich84

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 02:57:32 PM »
I have one of those tachs..It works and looks great. Very happy.
The face is made of plastic, which really is not a problem.

Offline RedV10

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 12:08:04 AM »
I read that they're plug-play. The fuel gage still works off the original printed circuit and just have to wire up the tach. Is that true?

Offline dsgb610

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 08:51:42 AM »
Nevermind, i found some threads
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 08:58:55 AM by dsgb610 »

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 03:33:59 PM »
I have one of those tachs..It works and looks great. Very happy.
The face is made of plastic, which really is not a problem.

I really REALLY want that one for my 85 C20.  My lower left has a clock.  Thanks for posting a picture Rich
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/