Author Topic: windshield washer switch  (Read 1897 times)

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
windshield washer switch
« on: August 03, 2020, 04:46:38 PM »
I have a 1974 chevy c10 stepside.  Previous owner installed a used later year windshield wiper/washer switch from a salvage yard.  It did not fit the hole so I got a new aftermarket from   Truck parts.  The switch fits and I have it wired and working but when I put the black and silver dash panel back in place there is a gap below the switch where the interior white color shows through.  Maybe 1/4 inch.  Does that show through on all 73/74 c10 models?  Maybe I will paint it black so it disappears??  If it is an original issue I am ok with it.....  Thanks for any replies.

Ricky

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: windshield washer switch
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 05:58:55 PM »
The 73-74 switch is in a slightly different position. Line it up to fit your bezel and drill two new holes.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 11:46:06 AM »
So maybe the bezel is not for a 74?  That would make sense actually.  Maybe try a 75 vintage switch....
Ricky

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 12:40:35 PM »
The Bezel on this truck has been cut around the radio to install an aftermarket stereo.  Because of that I would like to replace the bezel anyway.  With so many little ill fitting problems with this bezel (like the windshield wiper switch), I am thinking it is a replacement and not an original 1974 bezel.  Does anybody know of a replacement bezel for a 1974 Chevy C10?    and Brothers only have 1975 and above.... I am thinking this is probably the issue with the windshield wiper/washer switch, the ill fitting collar around the steering wheel, the transmission position indicator spring rubbing, not remembering any others at the moment.  I know the instrument cluster assembly was from a 1973 model, but I had to change out the wiring flat panel as the 1973 was wired for an ammeter and the truck is wired for a voltmeter.  (Not a pretty smell by the way).   Bottom line question... Does anybody know of a replacement dash bezel for a 1974 Chevy C10?
Ricky

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 02:06:09 PM »
Couldn't say without seeing it. There are different styles, what is yours? Black, silver, woodgrain? It's just as easy to move the switch up a tad.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 10:19:52 PM »
So I had to take a break for some minor surgery.  (Minor surgery is defined as "that surgery which is performed on somebody else").  So recovery took a little longer than I thought.  I finally got back to the truck, and as the switch was too high I decided to put a strip of fuzzy velcro below it.  This disguises the fact that the bezel is too big for the switch.  Your eye is not drawn to it.  In the process the bosses on the instrument panel gave up.  I found some stainless steel tubing with an ID of .402 at McMaster Carr, and cut some reinforcement collars for the top bosses.  I put some jb weld inside to give me more thread material and around the outside of the boss, (inside of the reinforcement collars), and waited 24 hours.  I think I can get 47 more years out of those bosses now.  The bottom boss on the left side has a tube from the bezel that fits around it.  I may have to cut that tube if that boss gives up and needs a collar.  The bezel screw holes are cracking having been cinched a few too many times so I will need to get a new bezel.  This one has silver facing.  Is that a 75 model year??
Sorry for being so long winded.  thanks for the help. 
Ricky