Author Topic: Dash cap life span  (Read 1415 times)

Offline 86chevytrk

Dash cap life span
« on: September 10, 2020, 01:51:32 PM »
I searched here and there and can’t find an answer as far as the life span of the dash caps. Maybe someone can shed some light. Like some of the trucks I’ve seen, the ash tray Door, the glove box door get all scratched up. I took out my dash pad and trim to paint over the stock color. While everything is out anyways, I put a cap over the cracked pad we all know so well. So now that everything’s put back together I’m wondering how long it will last? I read somewhere to put the dash cover back on to help the cap last. Is this true? I mean, I drove around with hairy dash for a long time until I decided to put the cap over it. only to find out I have to put it back? What’s the thoughts on this? I been COVID bored and thought to ask.

Offline Mr Diesel

• Frequent Member
  • Aaron
Re: Dash cap life span
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 07:59:07 AM »
I have tried two different brand plastic dash caps to cover the old cracked dash. This was on my wife's third gen Camaro, not a Chevy truck. I have seen the same and similar brand caps on our trucks and been equally unimpressed. They warp permanently as soon as the first hot rays of sun hit them. Maybe look better than a 30+ year old cracked up dash, but I'm amazed they can't just use a better quality plastic that won't warp. I replaced my Dodge entire plastic dash with an aftermarket replacement that fit exactly like original and years later still looks perfect, so I know the good plastic technology exists.
I have been happy with the aftermarket urethane dashes. I have one in my Camaro and it has been great for 10 years now. A couple years ago I put a urethane replacement dash in my 1983 K30 and it too has been great. They cost a few hundred dollars, but with our US dollar not worth so much these days I consider that fair for a good product.
1976 C20 Crewcab, 6.2L/SM465
1982 K30 Crewcab , 427TD/TH400
1983 C30, 6.2L/TH400
1983 K30 Crewcab 454/700R4
1986 K10 350/400. 1989 K30 cab/chassis 454/SM465

Offline 86chevytrk

Re: Dash cap life span
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 02:02:42 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to reply. It’s exactly what I was wondering. Thanks again :)