Author Topic: Need some help from the Chevy Gurus  (Read 11826 times)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2006, 10:06:00 AM »
Did you read my post? Also don't bother with an accel coil.

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
?
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2006, 09:27:00 PM »
You put the new distributor and coil in and see what happens.  Keep the old distributor to ensusre the new one works prior to giving it back to Napa for core charge.  Don't forget the gasket for the distributor/intake.

SgtDel

George Mason University upsets UNC !!!  Sweet 16 baby !!!
GMU '90

Partying in Fairfax, VA !!

Offline Orange Pedeanaut

Re: ?
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2006, 09:35:00 PM »
Well, got it to start sparking. Turns out the plug wires just needed changing cause they were arcing off the headers and the ones that I happened to use for my test sparks, were 2 that were burned in half. But, still cant get the truck running, itll sputter and backfire all day long, got it to run for a few minutes once then as soon as it returned to idle it died. We put a different carb on it and it caught fire for a good 2-3 minutes before we finally got the fire out. Timing seems right, maybe ill try moving the plugs over one and see how it goes. My guess is the gas is just bad though, its been in the truck for over a year now and probably has water in it and stuff. But it shouldnt cause the truck to backfire that much should it? Well, thanks again guys, this one sure had me stumped.  

Email me
BGM V2 now here, check RR forum for pics and specs!

Offline Lt.Del

• www.delbridge.net
Re: ?
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2006, 10:38:00 PM »
Your timing is one cycle off.
It is trying to fire on the exhaust stroke. Take distributor out about an inch and turn rotor 1 full cycle and put back in.
Been there, done that.

SgtDel

George Mason University upsets UNC !!!  Sweet 16 baby!!
GMU '90

Edited by: SgtDel at: 3/19/06 10:40 pm

Offline Z28 c10

• Registered Users
Re: Re: ?
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 05:22:00 PM »
Just went through that with my '81. Just spin the rotor to point about 3 or 4 degrees before 180 degrees, cause as you know by now the rotor will spin as you put the dist. in due to the way the gears are cut, then drop her back in. If it doesn't drop all the way in, your catching on the oil pump drive, just turn the engine over a little bit at a time with the distributer in far enough to turn the rotor as you turn over the engine, keep a hand on it to feel it catch and pop her in the rest of the way.
  JayTater
  Z28 C10

Hey Sgt Del, Congrats on GMU win, Saw it in the paper and said Andy's happy about that one!!! Only a few more rounds to go.

Edited by: Z28 c10 at: 3/20/06 5:25 pm

Offline Lt.Del

• www.delbridge.net
> Re: Re: ?
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2006, 04:42:00 PM »
Yeah, Jay, very happy with that win.  Mason knocked off two past nat'l champs, Michigan State and UNC to get to the sweeeeet 16.  We beat Wichita St earlier this year, so, if we repeat that game, we will go to elite 8.

oh, something I learned at Mason, it is 360 degrees around for the distributor, not 180 degrees.  

Put money on the Patriots!!!!

SgtDel
www.delbridge.net  

Offline Z28 c10

• Registered Users
Re: > Re: Re: ?
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2006, 05:56:00 PM »
Actually, it sounds as though you might have the firing order off. If it runs, than you can pretty much bet that the distributer is in just about the right spot. If your firing on exhaust stroke, it's not going to run. Double check your wires and make sure that your on the right plugs. If you put in a new cam, also double check if its a standard firing order cam.Comp Cams has a bumpstick with a 4-7 swap, I think that theres a few others with this option.

JayTater

Z28 C10

Got money on Patriots AND U Conn

Offline Orange Pedeanaut

Re: > Re: Re: ?
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2006, 08:28:00 PM »
Standard cam as far as I know. The motor has 103000 original miles on it. The firing order is right, we checked that a few times. The truck ran good and smooth for a little while then when we let it off to idle it died. Just cant get it running smooth again for some reason. I know the distributor didnt turn because its tightened down and we checked it too. I think its just bad gas but we will see. Got me a can of heet and sea foam and some new plug wires. We will see how it goes. Thanks again guys, I do appreciate it :)  

Email me

Offline Lt.Del

• www.delbridge.net
Re: Re: ?
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2006, 09:32:00 PM »
Firing on exhaust stroke will pop and backfire and run for about 5 - 10 seconds, depending on other adjustments. But, it sounds like, if it isn't the gas (which shouldn't make it backfire), a very bad vacuum leak causing a lot of air getting into where it shouldn't. It will run at high rpm's.

Check all gaskets, carb, intake, all hose connections, etc.

SgtDel

GMU SWEEEET 16  

Offline Leadfoot

vacuum
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2006, 07:04:00 AM »
If it sounds right at higher rpm's then dies when you try to idle it,listen to SgtDel and check for vacuum leaks,sounds like you might have one..check pcv hose,carb to intake especially,take the carb back off and seal the carb gasket to the intake,then bolt'er back down..

let us know what you find..

Tim

Offline Orange Pedeanaut

Re: vacuum
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2006, 12:02:00 PM »
Its going to be a couple days before I can get back to Black Beauty. Heading to Colorado to do some snowboarding tomorrow. But ill check, thats probably all it is. It started ripping emissions control junk off it and probably yanked a few too many lines. Thanks again guys, great help :)  

Email me

Offline DainBramaged

You have a Timing Prolem...
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2006, 02:09:00 PM »
I had those exact same symptoms when building my truck, backfire, real fire and all...  ;0)  I would suggest starting from ground zero, unpluging all the wires, taking out the distributor and putting it all back together.  Look online for the firing order... also you need to start at TDC (top dead center).  This means that the piston closest to you and on the right (if you are looking at the truck from in front of it) should be all the way at the top when putting the distributor in.  You can use a small screw driver in the spark plug hole to determine when the "TOP" is (meaning when the piston is all the way UP).  You can take the bell housing off where the engine and tranny meet to manually turn the flywheel until you are TDC (top dead center).  Everyone, if I missed anything please add/correct my post.  I know how much of a pain in the arse this is but stick with it, you will get it :rollin  

Offline Orange Pedeanaut

Re: You have a Timing Prolem...
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2006, 03:39:00 PM »
Hmm... had the truck almost starting and had to go for a few days. Came back and weve got no spark again... Put new plug wires on it and rechecked the wiring, everything looks ok. Id hate to bring the thing to a mechanic considering I am one because it makes me look bad. Any more suggestions? Maybe once I replace the steering column itll work? Im buying a parts truck tomorrow to see what I can do, and im looking into another 86 K-20 for sale at a local dealer. Maybe I can get one running truck out of 3...

Email me