Author Topic: Transfer case...lockup or not...or shot????  (Read 2999 times)

Offline 1976er

Transfer case...lockup or not...or shot????
« on: December 11, 2010, 11:44:56 PM »
Looking for help here; 76 3/4 ton, 4X4.  When in hi-lock I seem to have 4X4 lock; same in low-lock.  However I went to pull a stuck vehicle this afternoon and rear wheels broke free with no power apparently going to the front axle.  This was the case in both high and low lock.  When I unhooked the vehicle I was trying to pull it seemed as though power returned to front axle.  Anyone know what gives, is it possible for "slippage" in the transfer case??  I thought maybe I wasn't completely in high-lock and was pulling shift lever; while tranny in gear, 350 auto btw, and it felt as though I was pulling against spinning gears, did that make sense?  Answers anyone?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Transfer case...lockup or not...or shot????
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 08:01:26 AM »
Are you sure it was in LOC? Hubs locked? What transfer case and hubs do you have?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 1976er

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 01:45:32 PM »
Transfer case I believe to be the 203, full time hubs.  I also notice that when backing out of parking stall first thing in the morning it seems as though something is binding up; truck doesn't want to move and then I get a "clunking sound" and then it will move and be fine for the remainder of the day.  Somethings wrong somewhere!!

Offline royo

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 04:08:42 PM »
When you get a chance. check the linkage on the 203 shifter. sometimes the adjusting nuts back off.  also I had a shifter come apart on the inside. I had to lay on the ground with a large screw driver an gently pry the outside lever forward to get it to go into gear