Author Topic: what brand of cam should i use or you recomend  (Read 11210 times)

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
Re: what brand of cam should i use or you recomend
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 02:43:28 PM »
Haven't heard or known anybody that has used one myself, but I guess the CompCams Thumpr line of cams might be what you are looking for, but they are pricey for sure. The Summitt that Vile recommended is about the most economical you are going to get. I have a 268 advertised duration cam and it's decently lopey at idle in gear but smoothes out some in idle at park. You could try a 274 or maybe 280 duration cam for the chop but if you don't have the induction or heads to back up the lift and duration on those cams (I don't recall what their LSA is; my 268 is 110 so the higher durations are going to be that probably or less) you are going to have a pretty crappy powerband. It will be all soft and doggy till around 2500 or 3000 rpm, pick up on power until the stock heads shut all the fun down around 4500 rpm at best. It will sound tough at idle in the parking lot though but don't challenge anybody to a race  lol

I have some vids of my truck idling and such to hear the cam but I don't have a website to host them.
85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline 1983stepside

• Frequent Member
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 08:54:42 PM »
well thank you all for the info i was asking all these questions because im  gonna be getting a 383 stroker crate motor in the next year or so with the other half of my army bonus and untill then i wanted to have a little fun with the 350 i have so now i need to find a cam from sumit most likely that has a loppy idle and a lil bit of extra power to hold me over till next yrar when i get my stroker motor thanks again 8)

Offline Jims86tpisub

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 11:13:38 PM »
well thank you all for the info i was asking all these questions because im  gonna be getting a 383 stroker crate motor in the next year or so with the other half of my army bonus and untill then i wanted to have a little fun with the 350 i have so now i need to find a cam from sumit most likely that has a loppy idle and a lil bit of extra power to hold me over till next yrar when i get my stroker motor thanks again 8)

Wow.
Jim
1986 K10 Suburban
Tuned Port Injection
193 Heads
Comp 260H cam
700r4 Raptor
Single exhaust with 2 Magnaflow Mufflers inline

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 12:48:12 AM »
I'd get a comp cams mutha thumpr, but that's just me  ;D
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline 84shortbed

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 02:00:56 PM »
Well if your 87 engine still has the stock tbi heads i would`nt even consider a hotrod cam. those heads are junk and don`t flow for nothing and your compression is only around 9.2:1 or so. I would look into the cams designed for TBI engines for the best performance.

For what it`s worth, I ran a geardrive years ago and it was a noisey one and I didn`t get tired of it. Of course I had 2 chamber flows dumped at the muffler so I couldn`t hear it inside the car.

And a little advice, I know your young and problbly a little inexperienced but getting a attitude because you didn`t get the answer you wanted to hear won`t help you in the future. When I try to help someone and get the responce you gave it`s the last time I will help them. I also have to agree that punctuation not only helps us understand what it is your trying to say and when your asking a question but it`s a good practice to get into for the future. Thanks for your service for our counrty.
Anthony
83 chevy short fleetside
OTR gearjammer

Offline 84shortbed

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 08:05:04 PM »
If you don`t want to here peoples opinions then don`t make a post. Good luck kid, you`ll need it with that attitude.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 08:22:42 PM by Captkaos »
Anthony
83 chevy short fleetside
OTR gearjammer

Offline 84shortbed

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 08:50:51 PM »
o and 84shortbed me being a military person i respect who respects me

Actually your wrong. I helped you and was respectfull to you. I only offered advice. you got aggressive and disrespectfull to me and some other members. Your attitude clearly shows your just a punk kid and in my eyes your a descrace to the uniform. I only pray that you talk to your superiors in the same mannor. Hot headed kids like you know it all and will never listen to people who have been there done that. You guys just want the answer you want to hear right or wrong. I don`t care if you want to run a gear drive and I don`t care that you don`t have enough education to write your responces so that everyone can understand what it is that your trying to say.
Anthony
83 chevy short fleetside
OTR gearjammer

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 09:16:49 PM »
1983stepside, take a chill pill already. Don't start problems and I think you got your answer. The end.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10