Author Topic: Back-end wiring  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Spool

Back-end wiring
« on: January 10, 2021, 09:52:01 PM »
Hey guys.
73 c20 here.

Just replaced the license plate lamp unit today and decided to tackle the mess that is wired to my tail lights.

My truck has two aftermarket lights on the rear bumper that replace the original housing units.
The original housing hardware is still intact, but all electrical wiring has been cut and removed.
Thus, I have two globes only that act as my taillights, blinkers, and brakes. There is no reverse light at the moment.

I'll attach photos for clarity, but I'd like to see if anyone can confirm my understanding of the harness?

-The wire harness has 5 wires. Are these the correct functions for these five wires?
1. Power.
2. Left Blinker
3. Right Blinker.
4. Left Reverse.
5. Right Reverse.

I've removed all dodgy wiring and replaced it with 18g wire.

As it's wired now, the power from the harness is shared between 3 lamps. (Both taillights + the license plate.)
Is this the correct way to wire the power?
Would this stand correct once I install reverse lamps for a total of 5 sharing the power?

And the ground for each lamp is the lamp itself, correct?
When I finished the job, the lamps didn't turn on right away and I was questioning the grounds.
But I think it might be the switch or the wiring at the switch that may be at fault for this occurrence.

I'll share some additional photos below of the job thus far.

Thanks, guys.
Your help here is always appreciated.

Offline Spool

Re: Back-end wiring
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 09:57:50 PM »
Current setup:
It'd sure be nice to buy the needed parts to run lamps in the original housing above the aftermarkets as well.

Offline Spool

Re: Back-end wiring
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 08:38:43 PM »
Hey guys,

Still working on this one.
The license plate light is in and out, and I'm thinking it's certainly the switch- which I'll replace.
I see they're fairly abundant for purchase - Does anyone know if there's a benefit in buying on from Painless for $40 over a Duralast one for $20?

I'd like to post again to push the topic up, as I'm still trying to determine if:
-I can split the power 5 ways to 5 lamps.
-And if the snipped wires shared in my 2nd post's photo is related to my reverse lights- which I currently do not have.

I'll be shopping for wiring harnesses for the reverse lamps, but just trying to understand it all first.

Any help is appreciated.