Author Topic: 14 Bolt SF Questions??  (Read 4039 times)

Offline 86ShortWide

14 Bolt SF Questions??
« on: October 16, 2004, 01:13:00 AM »
I have an 85 14 bolt sf from a 3/4 sub. I was wondering if it can be converted to 5 lug?

I was told that the 454 ss trucks has a 14 bolt SF in them.

The 10 bolt that was in my truck crapped out about a week after I put the 454 in it. I now have a nice dent in an other wise purfect bedside from the wheel hitting it as the axle came out after a hard second gear shift.

I'm running an open 12 bolt for the moment but I was told the pinion shaft is week in the truck 12 bolt so I did'nt want to build it up if its going to break also.

Any Ideas or sugestions?

Thanks,
Chad

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: 14 Bolt SF Questions??
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 10:48:00 PM »
Are you planning on running Slicks?  The pinion on the truck rearend are smaller/weaker than the passenger car version, but you will break a u-joint before the rearend in from my experience.  When my truck ran it was drag and street raced alot.  It had a Muncie 4 speed and I religiously side stepped the clutch and shifted without the clutch at 7800 RPM's with my BBC.  I doubt you will break it.  I still have the rearend, infact it is still in the truck.

If you want a 5 lug SF 14Bolt, one from a 454SS will fit with a little work.  Plus, you can always get axles with the bolt pattern aftermarket if you think you will break it.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline 86ShortWide

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 09:36:00 PM »
I would like to be able to run slicks at the track from time to time.
I'm running a 1350 u-joint.Do you think the pinion will be stonger than this?
Thanks for the reply.

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 04:42:00 PM »
I don't think you will break the pinion, the spider gears will go first if anything is going to break.  of course this means you can loose an axle.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline 86ShortWide

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 12:43:00 AM »
Been there done that!!LOL :lol

Thats what happened to the 10 bolt that lasted 2 weeks with my 454. It broke spinning into 2nd with a set of 235/75 15's. Driver's side axle, came out and smacked a perfect bed side.BUMMER :\

I have a 9" ford but I'ld like to keep it all GM.

Maybe I'll try c-clip eliminators.