Author Topic: Insufficient fuel delivery?  (Read 2485 times)

Offline thaiboxer04

Insufficient fuel delivery?
« on: January 21, 2011, 12:32:56 PM »
Hello. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas where I should start with a current issue Im having.  1974 k10 350ci ... after the truck sits all night, it loses all of its prime in the fuel line. I have a large clear fuel filter in line near the carb and its empty every morning. i have to pour a little gas in the carb to get it to run long enough for the fuel pump to prime the line again. I also noticed that when the filter is filling... it doesnt pour in... it kind of spits almost a mist and fills it VERY slowly. My first thoughts are that the fuel pump is going bad... i would have guessed a clogged strainer in my sending unit but i just put a brand new gas tank in last month and the strainer was ok. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance everyone.

Offline Grim 82

Re: Insufficient fuel delivery?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 01:40:34 PM »
Run a hose from the pump into a catch can and see how much flow there is when you crank it over.
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline Big Katz

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 02:29:14 PM »
Are you running a quadrajet carb(stock)?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 03:23:33 PM »
If the pump is pumping fuel to the carb and it's dry your fuel bowl is draining.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline thaiboxer04

Re: Re: Insufficient fuel delivery?
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 03:56:42 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Sorry I took so long to update... lost my internet access on my phone for a few days. It has an edelbrock performer intake and a carter carb on it. I noticed the little valleys on the intake around the carb have some gas puddling in them. I suppose if its a base gasket leak or something, that may be letting the air in the fuel line allowing the fuel to drain back towards the gas tank when sitting overnight??? Possibly fuel bowl gasket even???

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 05:14:20 AM »
sounds like you found your problem
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline thaiboxer04

Re: Re: Insufficient fuel delivery?
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 01:39:03 PM »
Cool. Ill try that first then. Thanks everyone.