Author Topic: A/C question  (Read 3698 times)

Offline 454ss

• Registered Users
  • I WANNA RACE IN A BIGFOOT TRUCK!
A/C question
« on: August 16, 2010, 04:31:12 AM »
This question may have to be answered by trial and error when I get a truck, but here goes in hopes maybe someone might have an answer.

Will a 1988+ A/C unit fit behind the dash of a 1973-87?

My idea here is that I want to put electronic climate control in a 73-87 truck using factory parts. Possibly using an Oldsmobile control unit as it appears to be similar in size to the original 1973-87 HVAC control.

Yes, you will find as we go along that I am certifiably insane.  ;D
Jay
Searching for my ideal 1973-87 fullsize.
1982 C10 Custom Deluxe stepside - traded
1977 C10 Custom Deluxe longbed - junked
Current:
1991 Chevy S10 Blazer 4x4
1995 Olds Silhouette
2009 Chihuahua

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: A/C question
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 06:12:51 AM »
The question that I know of hasn’t been asked but the answer has been. "were there’s a will there’s a way" there’s some room under our dashes to do almost anything but you would need the guts out of the olds and find a way to mount or make your own duck work to attach the motors to open and close the flaps now the ac I don’t know anything about them but im sure their wires are separated and could be made to work with our trucks
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 03:34:35 PM »
Wouldn't it be easier to buy a truck with a/c already installed 454? That's an agressive plan ya have there.
Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 05:17:03 PM »
Be advised you'd be looking at a lot of work for a very problematic system. The OLDS / Pontiac ATC AC climate controls are plagued with problems.

#1 The AC Programmer (AC Computer under the dash) is about $750 and are prone to failure.
#2 The control head displays burn out
#3 The actuator doors tend to break on the controller namely the temp blend door.
#4 The associated wiring is not stand alone - most of the systems communicate via the CAN BUS or serial data line through the PCM.

Bottom line is I could never see it worth your while to go through all of that to just be able to say you have a digital retrofit. There are aftermarket elcetronic climate controls that may be a better option but obviously more expensive.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 454ss

• Registered Users
  • I WANNA RACE IN A BIGFOOT TRUCK!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 07:30:22 PM »
I've had 4 Cutlass Supreme convertibles (no BCMs in these) and none of them had problems with the ECC.  :)

Actually, they are stand alone.  ;D

I'm thinking that if I use some stuff from a 1989-1993 GMT-400 and some from the Cutlass Supreme, it just might work.

I have a lot of extras from the Cutlasses, so that won't be a problem.

My other thing is that with using the Cutlass ECC, I wouldn't have to add a DIC (compass/temp) to the overhead console, the Cutlass already has an outside temp sensor and I have a rear view mirror with a compass already.  :o
Jay
Searching for my ideal 1973-87 fullsize.
1982 C10 Custom Deluxe stepside - traded
1977 C10 Custom Deluxe longbed - junked
Current:
1991 Chevy S10 Blazer 4x4
1995 Olds Silhouette
2009 Chihuahua

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 07:59:29 PM »
Well if the parts are plentiful and you are using a standalone system then it's doable. Plus if you have an extra dic you should be able to get it all done  ;D

Keep us updated
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10