Author Topic: Vintage Air  (Read 9711 times)

Offline 123 pugsy

Vintage Air
« on: May 15, 2013, 07:47:13 PM »
Is anyone running Vintage Air in their truck?

My A/C crapped out again and I really don't want to sink another nickel into it.

Is the Vintage Air system good/bad/ugly?
Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Vintage Air
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 02:23:18 PM »
I have a buddy that runs a shop and he uses them all the time.  I haven't ever used one in a 73-87 though...

Offline 123 pugsy

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 02:30:44 PM »
Hey Chris.

Thanks for the response.

Looks like not many members running the Vintage Air. I guess I may have to be the guinea pig and post the results.
Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 03:20:07 PM »
Great for a non-AC truck but with AC it is better just to repair what you have.  It was a well designed unit and it did not frost up like most add on units do in the high humidity situations.  May be all that has been resolved using the R134 now.  I am indifferent to having AC.  I wouldn't add it to a non-AC truck but would invest in repairing the stock unit.  My $.02
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline scorpion

• Registered Users
Vintage Air
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 09:17:37 AM »
I have Vintage Air.  I ordered it about a month ago and will be installing it in the next month I hope (my project isn't as ready as I thought it was).  I've spent about 10 years researching them across many different projects but never pulled the trigger for a variety of reasons unrelated to the company.  It took me long enough to see the release of the new servo style controls over the mechanical ones which seems to be the best and worst kit yet.  If you really dig on the internet, you'll find lovers and haters of anything no matter how good it is.  I've found threads out there that complain about the new servo controls and say that they failed multiple times and VA didn't do anything about it until they posted.  Since the net never tells the whole story, I take single accounts like that with a grain of salt.  Anyway, I finally ordered one because the only viable alternative was to stick with the stock stuff and all of mine is mostly junk and many pieces would need to be replaced (1974 and proud...tired but proud).  The VA is a complete kit.  It comes with everything you need as well as instructions to get you to the end.  Based on my needs, it should be a perfect fit and since fabricating is my thing, I'm not concerned about running into any issues along the install path so that makes me even more comfortable with knowing that there usually are some adjustments needed along the way on projects like this.  I've heard their support can be difficult at times (your fault not theirs) but that they typically make it right if you get the right person on the phone so "if at first you don't succeed...".  None of that's really unusual today in any other industry.  Beyond all of that crap, the things I liked are - (1) Remove all crap from the firewall.  I needed the space for other stuff anyway and making it look cleaner under the hood was appealing to me.  (2) Ditching the mechanical/vacuum controls.  Mechanical will provide less issues over time however they're not modern in feel or usage.  Some don't care but for my project, I like the modernization.  Needed?  No.  (3) All new parts.  I hate chasing parts.  Don't mind R&R but when most of the replacement parts for the factory system are reproductions, expensive, and sometimes difficult to source, it wasn't worth it.  I'd rather spend my time working on the truck.  (4) Options.  VA has options and factory doesn't.  Adapter brackets, different compressors, you name it.  Sure I can make my own brackets and could easily run different compressors but again with the excessive parts sourcing time.  (5) Price.  I'm not confident I could rebuild the stock system for less than I paid for VA.  Maybe a little but would that be worth it?  --->  These are my opinions but what it really comes down to is there aren't many choices so weigh the pro's and con's.

Offline 74k20

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 02:07:35 PM »
Scorpion – You nailed every reason why I plan/hope to go VA someday on my non-AC ‘74.  I even had a complete donor ’76 AC truck to use, but the firewall looks sooo cluttered to me, and everything would have needed rebuild/re-wire/fixed.  I like the clean look of the VA unit, and still maintain most of the original clean looks of a non AC truck (firewall).  YES all factory parts can be bought new/rebuilt/ect, but I’ve found that I’m not enjoying piecing together as much as I use to.  Order a kit, and it shows up all complete and ready for install.

mj

Offline 123 pugsy

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 04:24:54 AM »
Thanks for the replies Guys.

I've already spent more than what a brand new system would cost and it still keeps failing.  When it does work, it's just not cold enough either.
Looks like I will have to pull the trigger and order it.

I'm going to swap over to a serpentine belt using brackets from Alan Grove.

Anyone use these before?
http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/images/New_Images/Large/307.jpg
Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline scorpion

• Registered Users
Vintage Air
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 11:18:58 AM »
I'm going to swap over to a serpentine belt using brackets from Alan Grove.

Anyone use these before?
http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/images/New_Images/Large/307.jpg

Never seen the kit before.  Glad to see someone is making a kit.  Seems a little expensive though when you include all of the pulleys.  I'd be interested to see what customers have experienced with the kit.  Having the brackets be constructed out of plate steel would be heavy when compared to the cast GM style.  The design would also require a reverse rotation water pump which doesn't appear to be included (assuming you don't already have one).  The GM performance serp kit is only $130 more and comes with all new accessories, brackets, and pulleys which should make the gm kit a better deal when compared to the total price of the AlanGrove kit ready to install.  To be competitive, the price needs to be cheaper.  FWIW, I went with the GM kit (BBC).  Install was a snap, all parts were included except a new fan (with a reverse rotation water pump, you need a RR fan) which was the only thing not included in the GM kit (they got so close too).  Think the total price from Jegs was $550 shipped (the kit I got has the AC block-off because I already have a compressor).

Offline 123 pugsy

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 01:19:24 PM »
I looked at that kit, but requires the use of the GM compressor which I'm not willing to use.

We'll see how it goes. Maybe I'll post a thread on the install process.
Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350