Author Topic: My project  (Read 28345 times)

Offline fitz

Re: My project
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2014, 06:32:37 PM »
Tonka, the truck came out great. Glad you got your 1 piece windows sorted out.
How do you like the twin stick set up from ORD? Was that an easy install?.
Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your truck as the work continues.

Offline outlaw70nova

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2014, 01:41:56 PM »
Tonka,
Instead of 3347041, I believe the casting number on your heads is 3947041. The 3947041 head was made between '69 and '70, made for 302's and 350's and has a 64cc combustion chamber. Also known as closed chamber heads. Those are old school hot rod heads and are good ones for sure!

Offline Tonka

• Registered Users
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2014, 08:07:27 AM »
Tonka, the truck came out great. Glad you got your 1 piece windows sorted out.
How do you like the twin stick set up from ORD? Was that an easy install?.
Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your truck as the work continues.

Thank you Fitz!! I will post up some more pics soon brother Thanks again

Offline Tonka

• Registered Users
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2014, 08:12:59 AM »
Tonka,
Instead of 3347041, I believe the casting number on your heads is 3947041. The 3947041 head was made between '69 and '70, made for 302's and 350's and has a 64cc combustion chamber. Also known as closed chamber heads. Those are old school hot rod heads and are good ones for sure!

Thank you outlaw nova!
It is hard for me to see the difference between the "9" or the "3". I am definitely gonna hold on to them. I will drive this engine as is another year or so but after that it will receive a full overhaul and the heads will go out to a good machine shop. Anymore info on what you think would be an ideal setup Id appreciate. As far as I know this block is all original. Does not seem to be too built up and the truck is not near powerful enough for my liking. The cam seems mild but not stock. I know very little about this trucks engine but someone somewhere did some work on it. Best I have is a phone number in the Haynes manual that says " so and so worked on this truck" "So and so was the previous owner " Both of which have north carolina phone numbers (where I bought the truck).

Offline Tonka

• Registered Users
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2014, 08:35:11 AM »
Been splitting my time between a lot of detailing, paint correction, and fixing other small things (that turn out to take 5x's longer than expected). It's a labor of love as we all know. Paint correction is not 100% yet. Not even close. Been using Chemical Guys products and cannot recommend them enough. For wax however, I am using Surf City 100% carnauba paste wax. They may have stopped making it (the liquid is still available but the paste is hard to find). For commercial grade stuff the paste from them is the best Ive ever used and I started professional detailing in 1995! If you see it, buy it! The hood needs to be cut with a mild polish and then hit with a finishing polish. That may require me to remove the entire hood. It's a pretty tall truck and its hard to get at that center portion using a step ladder.

Mechanically I need to replace one of the brand new Moog ball joints I installed last spring. During install the joint pulled through and did not seat correctly (passenger side upper). It's in there but not as tight as the other side. So it has to come out. It has leaks at the rear main, transmission, transfer and possible pinion seal on the rear axle. It also has an exhaust leak. I paid someone to do the exhaust and that was my first mistake. Next mistake was expecting it to be done right. So I will rip out that guys work and redo it all myself. I beat myself to death with perfectionism, some may understand my plight haha. I don't post much on here because I do not have any of the experience you guys do but I do appreciate greatly all of your contributions so thank you for being the best source on the web for these trucks.

(that faded ugly little bumpstop needs to come out but the bolt just turns in there so it'll have to be cut out)

Offline cvbear

• Registered Users
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2014, 09:06:40 AM »
You have done some very nice work on that suspension.  Looks brand new.  I know what you mean about things taking 5x longer than you expect.  I also find that once I get into a project I get sidetracked fixing other thing I find that need attention!
1984 SWB Silverado fleetside, 350 crate engine, 350 trans

Offline Tonka

• Registered Users
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2014, 03:21:03 PM »
@cvbear Thank you very much sir. Like any of you I could throw 20 grand at my truck like poof.. Gone. The work NEVER ends. I rotate between detailing, routine maintenance, repair and upgrading/restoring. Ive learned that even with my limited skill set and experience that I will do a much better job, even if it is my first time doing whatever it is, than having someone else do it. That goes for everything. Nose to tail. If you want it done right, truly done right, then you have to do it yourself. No way around it.

I paid a guy a small fortune to paint my truck and do the body work. 6 months home from the body shop after 3 years in the body shop, and I have noticed way too many mistakes. Bigger than that, I have what may be rust bubbles forming under the paint in some spots. The roof, which no one will see unless they use a ladder or stand in the bed now has some minor pinhead sized spots of rust forming. This, from a truck that has NEVER even been driven in fog nonetheless rain. I only wish I knew then what I know now. I have a lot more self confidence than I did 4 years ago. You live and you learn.

Thanks again to all the guys on here who share their knowledge and experience it is greatly appreciated.

Offline Broken84C10

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2014, 05:41:19 AM »
 Your truck is freaking beautiful, I love the 73-80 step sides the most, especially 4x4. Good on you for saving it sir.

Offline Tonka

• Registered Users
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2014, 06:44:53 AM »
I appreciate the compliment sir. I grew up seeing these trucks roll down the road and drooled every time. Literally wanted one my whole life. I owe a lot to my little brother who sacrificed a lot to help get this project completed. He dang near killed himself on the wiring harness. That's the next upgrade - full AAW harness and Autometer gauges. After that it's time to rebuild my first 350 chevrolet bottom end. I will send out the old heads to a shop to have them massaged and brought to the next level. I'd like a good 320-350 horsepower in it. Even a little less would still be a ton of fun.

If you guys were to do what I want to (bottom end rebuild/send the heads out) how would you do it and why? What cam would you use, what piston/rings and what are the cons to stroking it? I've heard mixed opinions on strokers. I drive this truck once or twice a week, go to truck club events and the occasional show. So she does get some time on the street.

Thanks again