Author Topic: HEI power lead question.  (Read 3865 times)

Offline Liltroy

• Newbie-doobie-doooo
HEI power lead question.
« on: November 14, 2012, 05:30:29 PM »
Hi guys, Im new here but Ive been working on a 74 stepside project and it appears the PO really jacked the wiring up in this thing. Anyway, its got an hei distributer that I'm not sure if it came with or not and my question is about the power lead. I just bought the power/tach lead to wire in since the PO decided to use a crimp on female terminal instead and after pulling the wire off it just seems kinda dinky to me?? Its been at least 12 years since I've owned a sbc but I seem to remember the poer lead going to my hei distributer being pretty thick but this one seems dinky like maybe 18g or 16g at the most. Is this the correct wire? The wire is maybe red or orange??? hard to tell due to fading and red paint,lol. Thanks for any help.
" Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move that wall. "

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: HEI power lead question.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 03:16:46 AM »
An HEI distributor is powered by a 12- to 10-gauge pink with black stripe ignition lead that connects to the B+ terminal, using the connector illustrated below.  In some applications the pink ignition lead will be siamesed with a brown or white tach lead in a two-wire connector.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 04:32:27 PM »
I think it was right around that year-74, or 73, that GM started using HEI in the trucks.
Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline Liltroy

• Newbie-doobie-doooo
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
Well that's definitely not an oem power wire then. I guess I'll pull a larger one from the fuseblock. It runs good but I wanna make sure it's getting enough current.
" Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move that wall. "

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 06:14:50 PM »
1975 was the first year for the HEI in trucks.

Offline JollyBowtie

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 09:57:56 PM »
Most likely whoever put the HEI in your truck just put the spade connector on the 12+ wire from the coil on the old ignition system.  That was the quick and easy way to upgrade to the HEI from points.  You might check the voltage to that wire since some vehicles used a resistor or "resistance wire" to drop the voltage to the coil on points ignition systems.  If you aren't getting full voltage at that wire, getting things that way will sure let that HEI really do its thing.

ROb

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 01:35:00 AM »
Sounds like someone bypassed the resistance wire but did a poor job. Rewire the circuit off of a fused switched ign ckt of the appropriate gauge.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 07:14:17 AM »
1975 was the first year for the HEI in trucks.

I added an HEI to my 74 step side, and the wire should be a 12 gage red wire.

Sounds like someone bypassed the resistance wire but did a poor job. Rewire the circuit off of a fused switched ign ckt of the appropriate gauge.

I did as Vile suggest here and have never had an issue since, been about 2.5 years now.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom