Author Topic: choke light  (Read 2377 times)

Offline dtino

• New Users
choke light
« on: December 22, 2012, 10:52:31 PM »
have a question about a choke light operation on a 86 Chevy crk# 931 coming from cluster should their be power coming from dash with key on theirs already power at crk# 350 coming from fuse box just trying to make sure its working properly I  dont want a problem
 i allready have some weird problems pulling fuse for gauges and truck will shut off and not run or pulling fuse for ignition and noting
happens appears someone has cross some wiring for now just need to know if choke is working correctly and right

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: choke light
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 04:49:14 PM »
Welcome to the site from California!

have a question about a choke light operation on a 86 Chevy crk# 931 coming from cluster should their be power coming from dash with key on theirs already power at crk# 350 coming from fuse box just trying to make sure its working properly....

Ckt 931, coming from the instrument panel choke light, when disconnected from the oil pressure switch, will measure voltage because it is the "ground side" of the "choke light."  With the ignition ON, engine not running, the instrument panel choke light "grounds" through the choke heater via Ckt 931, illuminating the choke light.  However, there isn’t sufficient current flow through the choke light to "heat" the choke heater.

As a test of the above and to aid understanding, disconnect Ckt 931 from the oil pressure switch and touch it to ground with the ignition ON and the choke light will illuminate. 

However, when the engine starts and power is supplied to the choke heater through the oil pressure switch, via Ckt 350, the choke heater will "heat."  At the same time, 12 volts is supplied to "both sides" of the choke light and current flow through the choke lights ceases, so the choke light goes out.

The choke light serves as an indicator to warn the driver if the choke heater fails by burning out, or is disconnected, or if 12 volts isn’t supplied to the choke through the oil pressure switch after start up.

The "ignition fuse" supplies key-switched power to various accessories - NOT to the engine's ignition system.  To help with other issues, tell us a little more about the symptoms and what you have already done.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline dtino

• New Users
Re: choke light
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 09:23:29 PM »
after getting a good  diagram for the  fuse box  i now see  the ignition fuse power and looks like all is working OK
thanks for clearing up the choke or me  this truck has had a wiring harness replaced in 08 for some issue i found a tag and started to think some thing was wrong  but after posting and really looking over the diagram it did make sense  to me how it worked
 sometimes you need to take a step back to see the obvious .I wish to thank you for your  fast replie and happy holidays