Author Topic: rewired running truck now starting issue  (Read 7139 times)

Offline tannerjoe

rewired running truck now starting issue
« on: January 22, 2013, 12:05:36 AM »
I'm new to this forum so here goes, purchased a 82 chevy k10 while back and tried to work with the harness that was in it(was hacked) but it would of been easier to replace it I figured so i purchased a painless wiring harness 73-87 GM truck and got it wired up besides the horn, and oil pressure sender wired,  I tried starting got nothing didn't even hear the starter engage so i pulled it got the starter and selonoid tested and they are both good they were tested twice, I got a volt reading all wires from starter to alternator get 12v all the way to the ignition switch that is brand new and adjusted, Im also running a maxi fuse between the starter and alternator I checked the fuses all good, I touched the starting terminals the starter cranked but I tried getting a reading on the s terminal on the start selonoid but I cant I tried for about 5 minutes with the ignition turned to start..I get all head lights tail lights, idiot lights work until I turn to start and they go out, I by passed the wire that goes from the start terminal on the selonoid to the ignition instead of going to the neutral safety switch to the ignition switch..I'm stumped any help or advice I will try thanks, the motor is a 350 small block hei and 350 Turbo
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:21:53 PM by Captkaos »

Offline tannerjoe

Re: rewired running truck now starting issue
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 10:48:15 PM »
Anyone?

Offline Jason S

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 11:01:11 PM »
I read through your post and there are quite a few variables that make it a bit difficult to diagnose. I know there are people on here that are much better at such, but may not have read your post yet. 

However, just going to the basics:  if you don't have a click from the solenoid engaging then you aren't getting power to the solenoid...  As long as you have power to the solenoid from the battery and the battery is good, then the solenoid power wire would need to be traced back to the ignition switch. 

I don't have any books here at hand to verify ignition switch output, but when the key is turned to start position the solenoid wire should be energized (as you tried to verify).  Have you ensured that the wiring to the solenoid is plugged into the correct position on the ignition switch?
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline tannerjoe

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 12:42:17 AM »
Thanks for the reply Ive done all that my dad has taught me I'm just 19 but I've a far knowledge on how the trucks runs it just stumps me the ignition is getting 12 volts even the wire the goes from the start post on the selonoid to the ignition switch is getting power the selonoid is just not getting power to the starter,  I've charged the battery to 90% and tried it again nothing. My Selonoid only has two posts, battery and the s(start post) going to the ignition, I've double checked everything its getting all 12 volts

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 09:17:57 AM »
     Sorry to go to the beginning.  Which wiring harness did you buy ?  Is it a universal one or model specific ?
     As Jason S stated, there are a lot of variables.  But from what you said, your ignition switch should have 12v on the battery terminal.  When you switch it to the start position, ( I am getting this out of the tech section under wiring diagrams, 81 - 87 ).  On your ignition switch, in the start position (81-87 cab interior 2 diagram) sol = 3 PPL 6 wire goes to fuse block ( you have to follow through diagrams interior 2, then interior 1, then instrument 2, then instrument 1), where it goes into fuse block. ( I can not read the number, but it is to the right of 350, and 2 spaces to the left of number 2.
     In the v8 engine diagram, in the engine bay block it comes out just to the left of 350 ( flipped like a mirror, but it does not list a number ).  Then runs to the solenoid on the starter.  This is what is suppose to crank the starter. 
     Start at your switch, verify 12v when in the start position, follow diagram, checking power at every junction until you get to solenoid on starter to find out why you have no power on solenoid when you turn your key to the start position.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline tannerjoe

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 11:47:04 AM »
I have the universal harness, I have traced everything from the battery to the dash, the ignition gets power even the purple wire that goes three the fuse box and to the start post on the selonoid, I've turned the key man times and tried getting a reading on the start post on the selnoid but I em not able to, I know they are touchy but I tried for 5 minutes

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 12:26:30 PM »
...I get all head lights tail lights, idiot lights work until I turn to start and they go out, I by passed the wire that goes from the start terminal on the selonoid to the ignition instead of going to the neutral safety switch to the ignition switch....

...I have traced everything from the battery to the dash, the ignition gets power even the purple wire that goes three the fuse box and to the start post on the selonoid, I've turned the key man times and tried getting a reading on the start post on the selnoid but I em not able to....

Tell us more about these:  (1) headlights & tail lights going out when attempting to crank; (2) measuring voltage on the purple solenoid wire, but still won't crank.  Are you using a voltmeter or a test light?

Provide the pertinent details.  Don't assume anything in your description.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline tannerjoe

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 03:40:41 PM »
I'm using a volt meter not a test light, the dash lights go out I'm not sure about the head lights I dont think they do. I bought the universal harness 8
73-87 2x4 and 4x4, I get 12 volts to the purple wire from the selonoid to the ignition switch win turned to start, I just plug the connectors in where they were needed, even went and looked St all the old connectors to see if all the wiring was in the correct position

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 04:22:11 PM »
Start using an incandescent test light for the following tests, because a test light will slightly load the circuit so poor connections (loss of voltage) will become more evident.

Make sure the harness 'purple' wire is connected to the "S" terminal of the starter solenoid.  With the test light clip grounded, probe battery positive to verify you have a good test light ground.  Without moving the ground clip, probe the solenoid "S" terminal while cranking - it should light normally bright.  If the test light dims excessively or goes out, let us know.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)