Author Topic: elertrical help  (Read 2538 times)

Offline shadowz_21232

elertrical help
« on: January 03, 2014, 11:45:11 PM »
i have a 76 Chevy c30 the truck will start and run i have no lights but brake lights and hazard lights all fuses are good and the fusible links are good also how many power feeds go into the fuse box  anyone have any ideas
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 12:55:42 AM by shadowz_21232 »
76 Chevy c 30 1ton crew cab car hauler 350 4 speed aka "The Beast''
80 Chevy k10 4x4 (project)
79 k30 350 TBI 4 speed 4:10 gear (project)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: elertrical help
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 04:25:31 AM »
turn signal? could it be your head light switch?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline shadowz_21232

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 11:00:30 AM »
tried another switch did the same thing

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 11:43:26 AM »
Circuit Flow:
Battery power for the "running lamps" enters the headlamp switch from the T/L CTSY fuse through the orange wire.  Power splits through the headlamp switch out to the tail lamps (brown wire) and instrument lamps (green wire).  The green wire of the instrument lamps circuit returns to the fuse block, routing through the INSTR LPS fuse, where it changes color to gray and runs to the instrument cluster and AC/heater control panel lamps.  Of course, all lamps must be properly grounded to complete the circuit.

Testing:
Probe both sides of the 20-amp T/L CTSY fuse using a test light.  If the fuse is hot, probe the orange wire at the headlamp switch.  [Bear in mind that even though a fuse may test good, if its connections to the fuse block are oxidized or dirty, current won't flow - so when testing a fuse, probe the terminals of the fuse "socket" with the fuse in place].  Inspect the plastic wire harness connector and headlamp switch for any evidence of heat damage (melting, distortion, or discoloration). 

Rotate the headlamp switch knob counterclockwise and switch the headlamps ON.  If the orange wire at the headlamp switch is hot, but the brown and green wires are dead, repair the harness connections to the switch and/or replace the switch, as needed.  If the orange wire is dead, repair the "open" between the switch and T/L CTSY fuse.  Reference: Diagnosing dash lights that don't work.

Grounds:
Grounds are subject to harsh environments.  They are virtually ignored during routine maintenance.  And, they are easily overlooked when troubleshooting.  Over the years I've heard variations of, "Nah!  They're too simple...."  "Grounds don't have any moving parts!  There's nothing to wear out!"  "A ground couldn't possibly cause all these symptoms!"  "Come on, what could go wrong with a ground!?!"  Yet, they are a common source of headaches on trucks....

Now, is a great time to inspect and service all of the vehicle grounds:  (1) battery-to-engine; (2) battery-to-right frame rail; (3) battery-to-right radiator support; (4) right rear cylinder head-to-firewall; (5) engine-to-left frame rail; (6) dash-to-left kick panel sheetmetal; and (7) rear lamps-to-bed sheetmetal, taped splices, and frame rail.

Turn Signals:
If the turn signals aren't working, but the hazards are, replace the turn signal flasher (aka, "the other flasher").

I hope this has provided some insight.   :)   Tell us what happens....
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline shadowz_21232

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 03:58:11 PM »
the wiring was in such bad shape on the truck i changed the wiring to a 85 harness i got most everything working thanks for your help