Author Topic: Keyless Entry Help  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Redball

Keyless Entry Help
« on: April 11, 2018, 03:39:52 AM »
I have in my possession an older model viper keyless entry I was going to add to an old cutlass that I ended up selling. I would now like to install it in my 1980 K10 that has the 1985 power door locks for the doors.
Based on these diagrams can anyone tell me the proper wires to tie into on my wiring schematic. Also as for the started interrupt I believe I can tie it into the purple wire at the column mounted starter switch if this is incorrect please let me know.

Thanks for any help anyone may be able to provide

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
Re: Keyless Entry Help
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 06:54:54 AM »
I've never installed alarms, but it seems that if you installed the starter interrupt on the purple wire in the cab, it may be relatively easy to find and defeat after a break-in to the cab.  If you installed it in the engine compartment/starter area it would also be fairly easy to find, but the thief would have to open the hood and be crawling around in the engine compartment.  That's probably more work and less likely to happen.  Also, did it come with the starter shut-off relay to install in the wire?

Did the Viper come with instructions for how to wire it with different power lock systems?  It has positive and negative trigger outputs, and I think the exact operation of power locks is different between manufacturers.  You just need to know which way the GM locks work.

The lighting output and some of the other outputs are listed as optional.  On my keyless entry they can be used to flash the park lights, turn on/off interior lights, and perform other functions, but my system is very simple and I need additional relays to make those functions operate.  I left them all disconnected and just used the output to the lock solenoids (which came with my system for a '75).

Bruce

Online Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 09:11:10 AM »
Welcome to the site.
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline Redball

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 09:21:39 AM »
Bruce,
Thanks for your response  and as far as the install instructions that came with this unit what you see is about it. They refer you to the diretech website for lock info but that site is closed to all but registered installers and dealers it seems. Now I have been able to determine that the lock system installed in these early models are positive pulse locks using the factory relay to reverse polarity I think. Which left me in the dark as to which lock input wire I would use or even which lock output wire I would use.

As far as the other wiring goes the attachments are the only other documentation where wiring is concerned. The remainder of the document deals with what is listed in the contents page.

Mike

Offline Redball

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 09:23:31 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Rapid Roy though it reminds me I do need to get around to posting an intro for myself.

Mike