Author Topic: Yet Another Vacuum Post  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Manswame

• '82 k10 with 305 stock
Yet Another Vacuum Post
« on: April 22, 2019, 04:55:32 PM »
Happy Easter everyone!

Well at least yesterday. Anyways, I have an '82 K10 with a 305 a Q-jet carb. It's in kinda rough shape and right now I'm working on the vacuum lines. They all need to be replaced because they are dry rotted. My question is how easy is it to minimize the amount of vacuum lines. I've scoured the forum and found a lot of "I deleted this and heres my problem posts" but not any that explain what to keep and what to get rid of.

The big thing I want to get rid of the TVS on the thermostat housing. Is that as simple as getting a different thermostat housing and plugging the lines going in?

I've attached some pictures. I broke the camera on my phone so it wont focus so let me know if you guys need more or better pictures.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1982 K10 with 305 STOCK

Offline Ed4all10

Re: Yet Another Vacuum Post
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 08:49:14 PM »
You could go the route you described of getting a new housing and plugging the lines going in, and have no problem. With regard to getting rid of vacuum lines, When you remove the emission components on your truck, such as the smog pump, air lines to the manifold, etc you will clean up a lot of the vacuum lines you have there in the picture. You are obviously gonna need to keep the vacuum lines for the advance on the distributer. About 50% of the people on here say also to get rid of the vapor canister, and it’s vacuum lines. I haven’t removed mine yet, but it would clean a couple of lines out too.

For starters, though, I would just replace all the existing vacuum lines and see how the truck runs, before you go through and remove anything unnecessary. Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 08:51:50 PM by Ed4all10 »

Offline Manswame

• '82 k10 with 305 stock
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 09:03:12 PM »
Is this the vacuum advance? Because it goes to nothing. In the diagram it says it goes to a valve which I'm mostly sure is the valve in the lower left center of the picture but seems to have 1 of the 4 studs snapped off.

1982 K10 with 305 STOCK

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 03:00:52 AM »
do you have to get the emissions tested for inspection?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Manswame

• '82 k10 with 305 stock
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 08:32:43 AM »
do you have to get the emissions tested for inspection?
Nope. At least not for vehicles but the dang commies want to try and tell me how to heat my home (but that's a different story).

1982 K10 with 305 STOCK

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 12:27:19 PM »
Do you live in cold country? if yes, you might want to leave the Thermac device in the air cleaner online. It heats up the engine quicker on cold days, along with the exhaust valve on the passenger side manifold.

If you don't then you can ditch those.

You will be left with vacuum advance from a metered line on the carb like the good old days.

Which one is the question... perhaps someone can weigh in on that.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 12:48:46 PM »
theres really only 2 or 3 vacuum lines that you need. one for the vacuum advance, one for your transmission (if it even requires one) and one for the brake booster. well lets say one more for the charcoal canister. i dont know crap about them so i cant even tell you how theyre hooked up.
the part in the air cleaner is a good point and theres a reason why gm used it till i believe the vortec engine. and like johnny pointed out its going to depend on your climate

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Manswame

• '82 k10 with 305 stock
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 03:33:59 PM »
Yes I live in a cold climate (Alaska). I really just want to get rid of the stupid delay valve and ported thermo valve on the thermostat housing. Right now the vacuum advance goes to atmosphere which is probably why it runs like a fat kid at recess. If I eliminate the ported thermo valve on the thermostat housing that would open up one port on the carb and allow me to completely bypass the delay valve. What happens if I attach the vacuum advance to the wrong port on the carb?

1982 K10 with 305 STOCK

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 06:15:24 PM »
well if you plug the vacuum advance into any port its better than having it unplugged. manifold vacuum is better for performance and ported is better for emissions

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32085.0

Offline Ed4all10

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 07:09:43 PM »
You want to make sure the vac advance is attached to something to draw vacuum. Irish is right. If you don’t have ac, or smog stuff, you really only need a few of the vacuum lines. If you are in a really cold place, keep the TVS. It will help your truck heat up faster. If you look up the vacuum diagram for the truck, it would show what the vac advance plugs to, but the important thing is that it is drawing vacuum, and isn’t just leaking out in the open. A lot of times, if you get a nail or screw put a dab of gasket maker, and insert the nail into the vac line, you can plug it. Buy or make some caps for the ports on the carb that you aren’t using.  And yes, what you circles is called the vacuum advance. You may want to replace that while you have the vacuum lines off.good luck.

Offline Manswame

• '82 k10 with 305 stock
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 09:37:18 PM »
You want to make sure the vac advance is attached to something to draw vacuum. Irish is right. If you don’t have ac, or smog stuff, you really only need a few of the vacuum lines. If you are in a really cold place, keep the TVS. It will help your truck heat up faster. If you look up the vacuum diagram for the truck, it would show what the vac advance plugs to, but the important thing is that it is drawing vacuum, and isn’t just leaking out in the open. A lot of times, if you get a nail or screw put a dab of gasket maker, and insert the nail into the vac line, you can plug it. Buy or make some caps for the ports on the carb that you aren’t using.  And yes, what you circles is called the vacuum advance. You may want to replace that while you have the vacuum lines off.good luck.
Yeah I followed the diagram and it went to the delay valve which goes to the thermo valve on the thermostat housing. I'll just delete all that shoot and button it up. Thanks guys!

1982 K10 with 305 STOCK