Author Topic: Fuel economy  (Read 3842 times)

Offline NCali

• Registered Users
Fuel economy
« on: August 07, 2015, 05:10:38 PM »
Has anyone heard of this:
an 87 305 tbi in a 1/2 ton 2 wd
I have read somewhere that the engine has to come up to temp in order for the tbi to achive the proper fuel/air ratio.  If it doesnt the computer will remain in a loop condition and adjust for a richer mixture.
  I cant find where I read this, I only found that the temp should be 195 degrees. I have a 4 core radiator with a flex fan and even out here in cali I am not getting 195 degrees
  I would like to confirm that 195 degrees. With the cap off on a hot day I am getting 180 deg
at best with a thermometer stuck in the radiator
Black Labs Matter

Offline enaberif

Re: Fuel economy
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 05:12:36 PM »
Has anyone heard of this:
an 87 305 tbi in a 1/2 ton 2 wd
I have read somewhere that the engine has to come up to temp in order for the tbi to achive the proper fuel/air ratio.  If it doesnt the computer will remain in a loop condition and adjust for a richer mixture.
  I cant find where I read this, I only found that the temp should be 195 degrees. I have a 4 core radiator with a flex fan and even out here in cali I am not getting 195 degrees
  I would like to confirm that 195 degrees. With the cap off on a hot day I am getting 180 deg
at best with a thermometer stuck in the radiator

This is the function of the O2 sensor not the engine.

Offline NCali

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 05:21:39 PM »

the way I understand it (and correct me if I am wrong)

the fuel ratio is the function of the ox after reaching temp right? If the water temp is below 195 the comp adjusts for a richer mixture  (like having the choke closed on a carb vehicle)
Black Labs Matter

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 05:23:40 PM »
Thermostat needs to be the right one in order for it to run as efficient as possible
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline NCali

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 05:29:32 PM »
yes , thank you
Black Labs Matter

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 05:59:18 PM »
When the engine is first started, and engine speed is above 400 rpm, the system goes into OPEN LOOP operation. In OPEN LOOP, the ECM ignores the signal from the Oxygen sensor, and calculates the air/fuel ratio based on inputs from the coolant temperature and Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensors. After water temp reaches 105° or what ever temp the ecm is looking for O2 sensors are warm enough to read properly and some time limit has been reached then the ecm will go into closed loop as long as all "requirements" are reached

the hotter the engine runs the better the efficiency. but if you run too hot you can have predestination or cause damage to the engine. the ecm will deliver more fuel if the sensors are told its cooler
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 11:55:49 PM by Irish_Alley »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline NCali

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 10:41:19 PM »
Thank you. Thats what I read and couldn't find that info again. I didnt realize the temp was 105 degrees. The truck runs great @ 70+  daily   @ 10 miles to the gallon . so with the water temp at 180 I thought that could have been the reason. I usually have the cruze control on so I know it is not my foot causing the problem
Black Labs Matter

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 11:44:17 PM »
Actually, the engine temperature and time delay after starting, both cold and hot, to enter closed loop is unique to the emission calibration of the particular engine/drivetrain combination.  My engine for instance crosses its closed loop temperature threshold at 77° F (not 105°), with a 45-second cold startup delay, and 10-second warm startup delay. 

Yet, the biggest hurdle to entering closed loop on factory calibrations is O2 sensor temperature.  An O2 sensor must surpass 600° F and alternately fluctuate across its median voltage (referred to as the cross-count value or the number of times per second that O2 voltage output swings rich-lean-rich-lean...) before the feedback system will enter closed loop. 

Additional influences on open vs closed loop operation are road speed and TPS opening - again, both unique to the emission calibration, and both weighted toward open loop at idle.  So, open or closed loop operation is not a fixed or simple black or white proposition.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 12:56:19 AM »
BD nailed it on the head. My truck very similar in reaching closed loop status as his does. Even on cold mornings, the truck will go into closed loop with the first min or 2 of driving, less than a mile from my house. But my system also uses a heated O2 sensor for faster closed loop status when cold.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 01:01:37 AM by LTZ C20 »
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Captain Swampy

• Wisconsin
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 03:12:25 PM »
GM designed the exhaust system to have high back pressure to create more heat so the O2 sensor would work. If you've gotten rid of the stock Y pipe you need a 3 wire heated O2 sensor. I don't know if any are available on this site, but tbichips.com has a kit. They have a lot of info on making TBI perform well.
1987  350TBI 700R4  4X4  4.56 gears  33" BFG All Terrain

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32209.0