Author Topic: HELP!! IGNITION PROBLEMS!  (Read 5697 times)

Offline clownluvincarnival

HELP!! IGNITION PROBLEMS!
« on: March 29, 2006, 05:35:00 PM »
I have a problem within my ignition somewhere and have no clue where to look anymore.  First thing I can say is I have a draw from something, I go to hook up the battery and there is a draw.  get battery hooked up, get in truck, turn key to start and everything starts turning over like it will fire.  Never fires, back the key to the off posistion and truck keeps turning over.  Have to disconnect the battery to get it to stop.  Any Ideas????  It is a 1973 1/2ton stepside with a 350/4 speed combo.

Edited by: clownluvincarnival at: 3/29/06 5:40 pm

Offline Scottsdalenut15

Re: HELP!! IGNITION PROBLEMS!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 04:58:00 PM »
putt a new ignition switch in it,,,,check all wiring on the ignition with a volt-o-meter or test light,,,,,,,,hope this helps!

Replaced
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 05:17:00 PM »
Everything started on a cold day.  I went to start my truck in the morning, it was about 20 below outside.  It started, I was letting it run to warm it up and after about 2 minutes it died.  Tried to start it back up and it was turning, I backed off the key and it kept going, I got it to stop by dumping the clutch since I was in gear.  I let it sit for 2 days, checked my battery to find it was deader than heck and frozen.  So when it warmed up I replaced the starter, which had gotten stuck engaged and was fried to the bone.  I replaced the ignition switch as well.  I got a new battery, and when hooking it up I get a draw.  I still have the same problem of turning it on, turning over, backing the key to off and having to disconnect the battery to get it to shut down.  I think maybe it could be a shorted, melted, or touching wire somewhere, but don't know where.  Is there something I can isolate to get closer??

Offline 123 pugsy

Re: Replaced
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 05:36:00 PM »
The truck does run now,right?If so,your distributor wire is getting juice from somewhere after you turn the key off.

Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

It Was Running
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 06:01:00 PM »
Well, before my day from heck happened the truck was running like a champ.  I haven't been able to get it running since then because it's just turning.  I unplugged that distributor wire and checked my battery connection to find I still had a draw coming from somhere.  

Offline 123 pugsy

Re: It Was Running
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 06:23:00 PM »
Do you have a yellow and brown wire connected to the solenoid on the starter touching or in the wrong places?

Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 09:55:00 AM »
I haven't noticed them touching anywhere, and made sure to put a piece of tape on the yellow wire with a note as to which side of the solenoid to it connected to.  It isn't possible that with the new starter the solenoid posts would be different is it?

Offline 73K20

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 10:47:00 AM »
Try disconnecting the wire on the solinoid that comes from the ignition switch.  Then (with the truck in neutral and wheels blocked) crawl under and jump the terminals with a screwdriver.  If you can remove the screwdriver and it keeps turning over then you have a problem with the starter, otherwise you have current backfeeding into the soliniod wire.  Please be careful and don't get run over!

1973 K20 - 350/465/205

Offline 123 pugsy

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 12:04:00 PM »
Try switching the 2 wires around and see what happens.Can't hurt at this point ,could it?

Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline Orange Pedeanaut

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 06:03:00 PM »
Sounds like your ignition switch is sticking, its located on top of the steering column under the dash. Ive had to deal with mine alot lately, thats how im starting my truck. It should be a light yellowish or if its aftermarket, blue most likely. Id replace it and see what happens.

Email me
BGM V2 now here, check RR forum for pics and specs!

Replaced
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 01:17:00 PM »
I've already replaced the Ignition switch, the ignition coil and module(I have HEI).  It's just a crazy thing, with the starter on the ground and not mounted everything works as it's designed and supposed to.  On the solenoid I have two posts, and S and a R.  I've been told I don't need the R but it's hooked up because that's the way it's always been.  I've thought about maybe just cutting that wire, because when the key gets turned back to off 12V goes through that wire, but I have no clue where it's going.  I'm stumped and so far I've succeeded in stumping some of the best techs we have here where I work.  

Offline 123 pugsy

Re: Replaced
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 02:20:00 PM »
Disconnect the wire,tape it up and give it a spin.Should be nothing to worry about.Either she goes or doesn't.

Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350