Author Topic: 1985 GMC Sierra 4x4 front axle  (Read 3865 times)

Offline Fourxbob

1985 GMC Sierra 4x4 front axle
« on: October 05, 2016, 12:00:15 PM »
I got a snap ring on the passenger side axle but not on driver's side. For some reason on the driver's side, the groove in the axle where the snap ring would go is too far towards the inner side. Could this axle be from a different make or model truck, or am I just going about it wrong?

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: 1985 GMC Sierra 4x4 front axle
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 08:16:25 AM »
have you reached behind the spindle where the u joint is and tried to push the axle out any?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Fourxbob

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 06:52:02 PM »
Yeah. I tried that. Disassembled it all today found out all I needed to do was  pry it up a little and then out. But I also found out I need all new bearings too.

Offline Fourxbob

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 03:00:19 PM »
Still bad news. After installation of new axle bearing, inner and outer wheel bearings and seal. For some reason I still have the same problem. passenger side axle, the groove for the snap ring is only set in a 1/4" and on the driver's side it's a 1/2". Is that the way it's supposed to be?

Offline Fourxbob

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 05:08:47 PM »
have you reached behind the spindle where the u joint is and tried to push the axle out any?
Just broke out the old Haynes manual. According to them the snap ring goes on before the lock out. If that's so the i guess I was doing it all wrong. Oops. Lol

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 07:48:29 AM »
I have run several truck for a period of time without the snap ring even there. Not knowing it until I took it apart for axle joint, or pack the bearings.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Fourxbob

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 08:37:18 AM »
Apparently i have to. This thing has sat for almost 10 years and if I remember right thats when I lost the snap ring to begin with. Only drove it for a year with new bearings in the same side.    Cant figure out why they need replaced again if that wasn't the cause.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 09:30:19 AM »
i know weve cut a new grove for a snap ring
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Fourxbob

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 09:44:47 AM »
I'm just confused as to why its on the outside of the lockout on one side and on in the inner side on the drivers side.