Author Topic: Lost power to instrument panel lights  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Chuck Step-a-side

• Registered Users
Lost power to instrument panel lights
« on: June 07, 2020, 12:08:23 PM »
I have a 1984 Chevy Silverado and I was working on an electrical issue with my radio and when I plugged radio power back on to the fuse box lower receptacle (constant on) and heard a pop and it killed the radio and the instrument panel lights.
I've check and tested the 5amp fuse for the instrument panel lights and it is good.
I used my voltmeter to test the instrument panel light fuse at in-coming power connector and it's dead along with the other 2 lower receptacles where my radio once connected.
Everything else electrical works on the truck, so I believe my radio was the cause.
The wiring circuit schematic I'm using for the fuse box circuit is not specific to my truck and a little confusing to me.
I believe there is a pink wire from the fuse to the instrument light circuit, but I'm lost at what color wire coming from the battery to the fuse box and if there is a fusable link in the circuit.
Thanks for any help on this, Chuck

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Lost power to instrument panel lights
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 12:54:31 PM »
Begin by disconnecting the radio.  Following the steps in Diagnosing dash instrument lights should help you reestablish power to the dash lamps.  It sounds as though either the radio is faulty or was miswired into the vehicle.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 01:07:00 PM »
BD,
Perfect! I was tracking on to the Gray wire and you filled in the blank. I'll get back to you. Thanks

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 07:11:23 PM »
Found the problem. The blade connector for the green wire pushed out of the plastic plug on the light switch and caused a open. Thank you Sir!

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 07:21:19 PM »
Any time.  Thanks for the update.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)