Author Topic: How difficult is this going to be?  (Read 5903 times)

Offline rhorvick

How difficult is this going to be?
« on: December 06, 2004, 05:34:00 PM »
Previous owner's kid did a really nice job of making sure that I'd have no stereo and that installing a new one would be more difficult.

You can see in the picture on this page:  

www.chevyk10.com/radio.shtml

When the radio was removed with it came part of the plastic covering and the sheetmetal is visible crimped/dented and otherwise cut.  Is it going to be possible to put something in here without having to replace and/or fabricate something?

Thanks.

Robert.

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: How difficult is this going to be?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 04:45:00 PM »
You can probably put a DIN stereo in there.  If you want the shaft style you will have to "fix" it.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline 1984 K20

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 09:12:00 PM »
Like rounded line said u can use a DIN in that spot but u might still need to make some kind of a brace to support the back of the stereo. A good place to go for stereo's is Best Buy, they have a lot of different speakers, amps, and subs too. They also have a shop in some stores that will install your system but it will cost u a little more.

www.bestbuy.com/site/olsp...e=category

Offline rhorvick

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 09:13:00 AM »
I'll probably end up buying it at Best Buy (we don't have a lot of choices in Fargo for low end car stereos) but I want to do the install myself.  The point of this truck was to do my own work :)   If I shy away from a stereo then I'm not making a good start of it.

Having never looked at car audio before (ever) I had to spend a while to even figure out what DIN meant!  Looks straight forward enough.  If I have to fabricate something as a brace I have some moderate gage sheet metal and stove pipe in the garage that I could make into something.

Thanks all.

Robert.

micrys5150

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 11:49:00 PM »
You can check Crutchfield.com also for a great selection on low end but decent head units for your truck. DIN style will work. (I know causelike the 22 year old idiot I was at the time, I cut the dash of a 72 El Camino I had to fit a DIN Head unit I had lying around!:(  ) I used a piece of plumbing strap I got at Ace Hardware to support the rear of the unit. Should be a bolt in the rear of the unit and use a self tapping screw to attach it to some upper sheet metal of the dash. As for Crutchfield, they have several head units that you can get that are compatible with Sirius or xm satellite radio. My fiancee' and I got a sirius receiver for our rigs and we LOVE it! 12.95 a month for all kinds of static and commercial free music, comedy news and sports.   has shaft style AM/FM/cassette radios with cd changer controls, but you'll have to replace that dash!  Good luck! Mike and Crystal

Edited by: micrys5150 at: 12/31/04 12:07 am

Offline 86 custom del

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 04:54:00 PM »
i had almost the same problem but my truck had no stereo from the factory
what i did was cut my dash board and the metal behind it and i went to best buy and bought a pioneer stereo and put right back in where i had cut out and the ones u buy have and mounting bracket that comes with the stereo and u take it andslid back in there and fold the little tabs over which holds the bracket and then hook up all of your wires and slid the stereo in place
thats what i did and i have never put a stereo in before this one but if u ask best buy person they helped me by telling me what would be the best way to do it:D