Author Topic: HEY TM!  (Read 3178 times)

SNOWFREAK

HEY TM!
« on: November 06, 2002, 04:57:00 AM »
can you give me some ideas on "simple mods" for the 400 to 425hp or someone that could give me some cam, crank and head specs.  I would love to build a torque monstor for my truck....

TMW

more 400 info
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2002, 09:15:00 PM »
Most chevy small block engine aftermarket manuals will give very detailed specs on the engine and it's difference's from the other "small blocks" as well as similarities. The specd out motor that a buddy ran on his desk top dyno for my own 400 conversion in my 86 3/4 ton. 400 block bored .030 over (406 cubic inch), with flat top pistons ( not factory dish), World Products sportsman heads w-2.02/1.60 valves and 76cc chambers (approx 9.0-1), Or if cost is a factor go with World Prod. S.R. torquer heads w-2.02/1.60 valves and 76cc chambers these don't flow as well as the sportsman heads.I also like Total Seal gapless rings, and also upgrade to the 350's 5.7 connecting rods  instead of the short 400 rods (since you have to buy pistons any way with the over bore). Depending in several other things a cam shaft with a .442 lift to a .480 lift, but check with a cam manufacturer for further details on your specific needs, remember bigger is not always better. As for an intake I like the Edelbrock performer intake. There are others that are probably better but this is the best all around intake i have found for HP and Torque. You can go to the Performer rpm but you give up alot of torque because it raises the power band in the motor and increases the HP in the upper rpm levels but not down low for grunt and torque. Also use a good set of headers and good flowing efficient dual type exhaust. This on the desk top dyno gave 404 to 421 hp with some different stuff in the motor and other variables. This is the way my 400 will be built after i finish the new motor for my stock car. I don't what the margine of error is on a desk top dyno, but this is a good stout running motor. If you want more of a Horse Power motor for a hot rod truck change the cam and intake and some valve train parts and you'll be ready to go. TMW

Offline bored and stroked

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2002, 04:49:00 PM »
He hit it on the head. Although Im not a fan of world products, they do make nice heads. Id much rather go for some DART iron eagles or PRO LIGHTNING. Anyways the only thing I wanted to point out was the intake choice. The performer RPM is a much better design. It will give more hp AND TORQUE above 1500rpm when compared to a reguler performer intake. When does your engine spend time in power mode below 1500rpm? Only when the torque convertor is flashing to its 1800rpm or higher stall speed I would think. And this is not my senceless ramblings, these are dyno varified results. Good luck!

Offline bored and stroked

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2002, 04:51:00 PM »
Forgot one last thing! The performer is out-dated! If your still stuck againts the RPM, then check out eddy's new EPS manifold. Its basicly a updated performer.