Author Topic: carbed 305 engine help!!!!!  (Read 2334 times)

Offline fiyaweed06

carbed 305 engine help!!!!!
« on: June 08, 2009, 11:18:38 PM »
hello i have a chevy 305 engine that has a 600 holley carb everything else is stock,and the problem im haveing is like loping or surge and wanting to cut off in gear.it runs fine idleing i cant find a vaccum leak but when im driving and i gas it hard and when i let off the gas it seems to want to stall for a min until i get back on the gas,and its a center bolt headed engie im stumped it runs good highway and cruising its just in gear it wants to cut off or if i come to a red light.

Offline 1980c10

Re: carbed 305 engine help!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 12:54:39 AM »
I have had a simmialar problem on my 82 with a 305. It was the wires for the vacuum advance inside of the distributor. The timing on your truck will advance when you accelerate hard (creates vacuum). the wires have to move with the distributor; so overtime they wear out from this slight movement. the vacuum advance on your distributor is the only part with a vacuum line hooked up to it. If you take off the dist. cap, you will see the wires. When I took my cap off; I lightly touched one of the wires and it fell off. the fix is to rebuild the dist. or get a new one. The only time my engine missed was under acceleration. disregard this message if you do not have a vacuum advance. I was told that this is a common problem. Hope this helps

Offline fiyaweed06

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 06:34:23 AM »
hey it runs fine it just does this when its put into gear

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 10:26:04 AM »
Did you adjust your idle speed?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline rick_c

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 12:42:00 AM »
Holley carb, blown power valve would be my first guess but not positive

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 01:06:49 AM »
my Holley seals to have always done this just had to change driving habits not floor it and when you do want to floor it you have to ease into it then floor it. heck even now sometimes at idle it wants to lope and idle very low had a rebuild kit but lost most the internals at a friends but he has no idle what im talking bout lol but just replaced the gaskets and it seams to help out a little
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes