Author Topic: Best flowing exhaust manifolds for SBC?  (Read 21511 times)

Offline Psycho71

• Registered Users
Best flowing exhaust manifolds for SBC?
« on: July 04, 2010, 02:18:49 AM »
Gonna be 86'ing some emissions crap of a project soon, and want to run cast iron manifolds,as opposed to headers, on it. What are the best flowing manifolds out there for a Gen 1 SBC (350cu. in., mild build)? Oh, yeah, 85'- 3/4ton- 4x4- burb.
There are two tools needed, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD 40.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Best flowing exhaust manifolds for SBC?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 10:39:45 AM »
Why not headers or at least some nice shorty headers?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Psycho71

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 11:57:28 AM »
Although I'm sure I will get experiences completely different than mine, I just don't want to fight with header gaskets on this build if I can find a cast iron manifold that will flow decent.

My last build got a set of Hooker Headers, and while I don't have to replace those gaskets as often, I'm still having to do it about once a year.

Just seeing if there's a manifold out there that will flow OK numbers, and require less tinkering down the road. 
There are two tools needed, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD 40.

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 12:00:45 PM »
I think most headers need attention before install. The flange should be completely smooth, sometimes they are not. That, plus a good set of gaskets should keep leaks away.

As far as manifolds, I really dont think there are comparable differences in flow. Maybe a set from a different vehicle like a camaro or corvette. Im not sure.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 11:15:56 PM »
I have some BBC manifolds for sale.

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 11:53:17 PM »
They will work too, because there is a company that sells an adapter kit to mount BBC exhaust on a SBC.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 02:06:09 AM »

My last build got a set of Hooker Headers, and while I don't have to replace those gaskets as often, I'm still having to do it about once a year.

What gasket you using, the paper or aluminum one? I haven’t had a problem with the aluminum one on my truck
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline autorepr

• Frequent Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 07:03:11 AM »
I think the old chevy "ram horn" style manifolds are supposed to be pretty good.  There's some oval track race tracks out there that run street stock cars that have to have stock style cast iron manifolds per the rules. That is what those guys run. The front and rear runners curve up and then back down into the 2 center ports then all four exit below the center ports. That keeps them from just following along in a row then exiting in the back and gives it a tuned type of effect.
UH-OH  I'M GONNA NEED A BIGGER BANDAID!!!!!

Offline Psycho71

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 05:36:09 PM »
I had seriously considered the ramhorns. But I'm wondering if they will fit and work with my 4wd burb (mid '80's).

I have yet to spend the bucks on a set of percy gaskets, or anything like them, for my old truck. I guess I'll be trying them on the burb with a new set of Hooker Comp's. I will admit, the Hookers do stay sealed better, even with the less expensive Mr Gasket and similar gaskets. I've run flowtechs and other cheapo headers in the past and it seemed like I was changing gaskets every month. It's just a pain to swap them out when you have a/c mounted to the exhaust bolts too. Makes a quick swap turn into a small chore. And being in Tx, I ain't giving up the a/c!

Thanks for the advice fellas.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 06:17:58 PM »
Shorty headers are the way to go for you. Thick flange and no gasket at the pipes. 88-95 sbc shorty's fit nice but you have to grind a small relief in the frame on the drivers side. I've used 6 sets now on these trucks with great results. Scroll down in this thread and you can see a set I put on an engine I built for this guys truck.

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=6779.0

Here's a set

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STAINLESS-HEADER-88-95-SILVERADO-5-0L-5-7L-Blazer-Tahoe-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a5c8e3569QQitemZ250660926825QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Burban

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 06:39:47 PM »
I don't have details, but Sanderson makes a set of cast iron manifolds. They look very good. I think I saw them listed in a Speedway Motors catalog.

Offline Psycho71

• Registered Users
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 08:52:06 PM »
Shorty headers are the way to go for you. Thick flange and no gasket at the pipes. 88-95 sbc shorty's fit nice but you have to grind a small relief in the frame on the drivers side. I've used 6 sets now on these trucks with great results. Scroll down in this thread and you can see a set I put on an engine I built for this guys truck.

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=6779.0

Here's a set

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STAINLESS-HEADER-88-95-SILVERADO-5-0L-5-7L-Blazer-Tahoe-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a5c8e3569QQitemZ250660926825QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I think I'll be all over a set of those. I like the shorty aspect too, being able to route the exhaust as tight as possible to the body, within reason of course.

I'll look into the Sanderson Man's too, might find something I like. But if not, those shorties look like they have my name on them.

Thanks again guys.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 01:56:15 PM »
They will work too, because there is a company that sells an adapter kit to mount BBC exhaust on a SBC.

DUH! Apparently I either can't type or was reading the wrong post...

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 10:14:14 PM »
When replying, I had to double check to see if you had written BBC or SBC.

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 07:28:02 AM »
i too, favor this concept---i can't really explain why, maybe because they are quieter and feel "better," even though headers will probably give a little more mpg.

But i don't have too much time to research right now.   You might try researching corvette, ram horn(as mentioned above) and believe it or not, monza v-8 manifolds.

Will report back later if i find out anything more.