Author Topic: Serpentine Belt System Recommendations  (Read 1245 times)

Offline jc74868

• 78 Silverado SWB
Serpentine Belt System Recommendations
« on: April 14, 2021, 12:21:22 PM »
Any thoughts on the best complete serpentine system to use?  I initially thought about just getting a stock junkyard system, but I really don't care for the looks.  So, I'm pretty much only considering an aftermarket setup.

There's the Holley mid-mount system

There's March

CVF racing

Blueprint has a system now

Am I leaving something out?

They're all pretty much in the same price ballpark. So, I'm thinking looks could be a deciding factor. But, I'm thinking about replacement parts. What if the waterpump fails? A replacement from Holley is about 400 bucks. What kind of pump do some of these other kits use? Do they just use a kind of generic reverse rotation pump that I could find just about anywhere?
1978 Silverado SWB 383/700R4/3.73

Offline jc74868

• 78 Silverado SWB
Re: Serpentine Belt System Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 09:27:40 AM »
It seems no one has an opinion on this. I'll reveal what info I found out in case anyone else is wondering.

The only two I really checked out were CVF and Holley. CVF is very similar to March and some other brands. CVF uses a 1990 Corvette water pump. They state they have have a lifetime warranty on their water pumps. The downside I have seen is that if you have to get to the water pump, it involves basically removing everything. Their main bracket covers the entire front of the motor and must be completely removed, along w/every other accessory if there's a problem w/the water pump (or maybe another other accessory as well)

Holley has a limited warranty on their pump. But, it's an LT type pump. The replacement impellor is about $70. If it fails, it basically involves taking off the belt and 5 or 6 bolts, replace the pump impellor, bolts, belt and you're back in business. No need to remove obstructive brackets or other accessories. All accessories bolt individually to their pump.

I went w/the Holley. I've ordered it, but haven't received it yet. It just seems like much less of a hassle for servicing and the Holley brand is probably not going away any time soon. Can't say that with as much certainty regarding these other companies.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 09:29:18 AM by jc74868 »

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Serpentine Belt System Recommendations
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 06:17:33 PM »
Which one did you go with? Post a link. I'm not a huge fan of converting to serpentine unless you are going to use an auto tensioner. A lot of the kits out there are just pulleys and brackets. A friend of mine just went with CVF for his BBC and the crankshaft pulley didn't fit right so he had to have it machined. Otherwise he likes it.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline jc74868

• 78 Silverado SWB