Author Topic: Restoring a 73 4x4 stepside in Maine  (Read 6136 times)

Offline 3rtr

Restoring a 73 4x4 stepside in Maine
« on: January 09, 2011, 04:34:45 PM »
Well I recenlty inherited a 73 stepside from a familly friend who passed away and I guess Im gonna restore it this winter so I thought I would find a forum in case I have any questions or need to find a part that I cant find locally ... I am a member of another forum that is dedicated to old Suzuki Quadracers since I restored one of them last winter and it was alot of help to me ... this is the only forum I found that seemed to be like the other one I am on so I joined ... its also the only one that I could find the answer to my first question on ... I needed to know if I could still use the front clip off my 73 on the 82 cab I bought for it and it seems I can so thta makes me very happy since Im trying to keep the truck looking as origional as I can ...

Now for the truck :
Its a 73 as I mentioned 4x4  came w a factory 350 stepside and we are the second owners ... I think the guy who we inherited it form added A/c somehwere along the lines because when I was stripping the old cab the RH kick panel vent/vacum can cover was red and had been painted blue to match the rest of the truck but either way I have the A/C to put in the new cab it also had a tilt/cruise colum that Im going to put into the new cab ... the box was in pretty good shape suprisingly so thats just getting cleaned up and painted and new wood ... motor was rebuilt a few years ago w all new edlbrock inatke, carb, cam , and a set of double hump heads, so we are just going to freshen it up and get a set of ceramic coated headers since the old headers are junk and see how it works once the truck is done ... should be fine since the truck had low miles since the last rebuild , the previous owner had also installed a lift kit but Im going to change the rear springs out if I can find a set of +4" rear springs I really dont like the block lift kits myself   and Im getting all new inner and outer front fenders and a cowl inducted hood
He also had an aftermarket seat w a nice fold down console and a nice grant steering wheel and all kinds of cool chrome parts under the hood :) ...

anyway this is getting pretty long so Ill end it here and Ill get some pics I took up on here at a later time ... right now its down to the bare frame and Ive gotten it about 50% sandblasted so in another day or 2 Ill be doing the frame paint and getting the cab mounted (the cab I bought is about 90% rust free all it needs is cab corners and the rest is mint and origional floor boards and all the supports look like new !!)

Now its time to spend some money @   :(

Offline fitz

Re: Restoring a 73 4x4 stepside in Maine
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 06:43:31 PM »
Welcome from Mass. sounds like a cool project. If you get a chance post some pics.

Offline Canadian 4X4

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 07:15:52 PM »
Welcome, the guys here are very knowledgeable, should be able to answer and help you with any problems!

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 07:35:37 PM »
Welcome. We will be glad to help, just need to post pics! haha

Offline Layne

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 10:29:22 PM »
Hello from Illinois
77 c-10 - 77 400 86 700r4 "Emmy"
83 citation - 2.5L Four on the Floor!
88 sierra - reman 350 700r4 "Eleanor"
All normal practicality and rational money handling goes out of the window when it comes to my truck.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 10:36:26 PM »
    Welcome from California, as beastie said, pics are always welcomed.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline 3rtr

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 11:25:10 PM »
Well Im kinda sad kinda happy rt now .... I just checked the numbers on my engine ... its not the orig 350 ... however it is a 295 HP 350 from a 68 f/x body (camaro / firebird)

and the heads arent the double humps I was told they were either (shoulda looked in the begining)  not that Im disappointed about all this just sayin ... woulda been nice to have the orig unit for the truck

this is what I have for heads

68-79 1.94/1.50
& 2.02/1.6 165-330 76 CC Chambers
X casting has 10 more intake
cc volume.

It looks like there was some head work done too ... just by my eye (who knows for sure) but I guess all in all it could be worse ... I figure with the alum intake and edlebrock carb and Im assuming a mild cam and some updated electronics I should be in the realm of 350 HP ... they always downrated them back in the day ... looks as tho the motor was origionally destined for a m/T car not an auto so Im going to guess its the orig TH350 in the truck

now as far as the pics go ... God its almost embarrasing to show it in the state that its in but Ill c what I have here haha

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 06:18:15 AM »
Welcome from NH.
Don't be embarrassed by any pics of your truck. We like progress pics just as much as finished product pics here.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline Cody1018

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 03:47:31 PM »
Welcome from Ohio. Looking forward to pics.
1986 Chevy K10 Silverado

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 05:52:12 PM »
Welcome from NW Indiana
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 03:59:17 PM »
You can spend money on parts here as I sell parts.  Big banner at the time is a link to the catalog.

Offline 3rtr

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 09:39:59 AM »
You can spend money on parts here as I sell parts.  Big banner at the time is a link to the catalog.

When I order my inner fenders outer fenders cowl hood and a few other things I held off on till Im ready for them I will let you know and see what you can do for prices ... Im all about saving as much as I can ... Im far from rich and need to do this with the last amount of damage to the bank account as possible ... Ive spent close to 3 grand just to get a rolling chassis ... its "getting out of hand" ... or so Ive been told by the "warden" as I affectionatly call her ...lol

Offline Gilby959798

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 11:08:28 AM »
welcome from OH, Hope the warden doesnt give you too much crap. The war department (my form of warden) is always trying to restrict funds that go to certain projects, the chevy included...

'86 K10-Budget build
'98 Cobra-Toy
'95 Mark VIII-Daily Driver also a toy
'97 Mountaineer- 5.0 AWD Her Car
'00 F-250 7.3L PSD 4x4 Winter toy

Offline 3rtr

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 02:22:35 PM »
This was origionally "just gonna be another plow truck" lol ... thats what really drives her nuts .... as soon as I got it I started spendin time and money on it like crazy