Author Topic: no fuel  (Read 3878 times)

Offline flips87c30

• Registered Users
no fuel
« on: May 28, 2014, 10:50:45 AM »
Here we go again. Never had this issue before. I worked my truck(87 v30) all day yesterday, Put almost 100 miles on it and it ran awesome.

On my way home I was cruising up a fairly steep hill When I heard a pop and saw a flash from under the steering column. Engine stopped running but I had Lights, and coasted over the hill and down the other side. I parked it out of the way. Couldn't get it started so I walked home.  it was 10 pm.

This morning I went back and I cant hear my fuel pump kick on. I tried both tanks. if I squirt a little gas in the throttle body she fires up then dies. So im not getting any power to my fuel pump. I pulled the access panel to look for what I thought would be an obvious short. But I cant find anything and I really don't know what to look for. Can anyone tell me what to look for. Or what would've blown or shorted? Thanks in advance. Im going to go back and see what I can do for now.         
87 v30 duelly dump truck 454, th400, np205, dana 60/14 bolt, warn hubs, gmt800 mirrors and LEDs all around the bed.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: no fuel
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 11:33:23 AM »
Begin by checking the fuses in the panel, especially ECM I and ECM B.  Then make up a "fused jumper" using a 15-amp auto-reset circuit breaker and apply 12 volts to the red 6" pigtail at the fuel pump relay on the firewall to see if you can power up the fuel pump directly.  Inspect under the hood for any pink/black wires running to solenoids that maybe grounding or burned, etc.  Do you have a small or big block?

Refer to the 1987 Fuel, Drivability and Emissions Manual and the 1987 Wiring Manual for specific information.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline flips87c30

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 12:11:13 PM »
Then make up a "fused jumper" using a 15-amp auto-reset circuit breaker and apply 12 volts to the red 6" pigtail at the fuel pump relay on the firewall to see if you can power up the fuel pump directly

Just tried that, kind of. I repurposed the power wire that went to my plow relay and connected to the red wire on the fuel pump relay on the firewall. no luck

Its a big block. It is a redneck wiring nightmare under the hood. Unfortunately I am not really skilled or knowledgeable enough to clean it all up. I just keep trying to fix things the right way when they go wrong.

Thanks bd I will keep looking and report back soon.
87 v30 duelly dump truck 454, th400, np205, dana 60/14 bolt, warn hubs, gmt800 mirrors and LEDs all around the bed.

Offline flips87c30

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 12:49:05 PM »
update.

ECM1 fuse was fine ECMB was blown. I replaced it, it blew again and again but the third time it didn't. (I have a lot of spare fuses) however there is still no change neither pump is coming on

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 01:56:22 PM »
The red pigtail connects to the fuel pump through the relay.  Was the fuel pump relay plugged in when you jumped fused power to the pigtail?

Take a quick survey of the tank selector wiring for obvious damage from impact or exhaust heat, etc.
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline flips87c30

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 02:09:20 PM »
ya it was hooked up but didn't come on so according to the manual I have an open somewhere in circuit 120 or 150. Im not entirely sure what that means

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 02:35:50 PM »
"120" is the power wire that runs to the dash selector switch then out to the selector valve and fuel pumps.  "150" is the selector switch ground in the dash as well as the individual pump grounds at the tanks. 

A problem in the ground would not have blown the ECM-B (battery) fuse.

Look for damage to the harness, switch, selector valve or a faulty fuel pump.  With a good ECM-B fuse, can you hear the selector valve switching tank-to-tank?  Unplug the dash selector switch to isolate the selector valve wiring from ground, then unplug the tank selector valve under the bed and try using the 'fused jumper' to apply power to either the "tan" or "gray" wire running to the in-tank fuel pumps.  Do either work?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 03:05:26 PM by bd »
Rich

Offline flips87c30

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 03:23:18 PM »
Ran a jumper from the positive terminal to the pump and drove it home :) I cant hear the selector switch do anything.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 03:53:01 PM »
Good job getting it home!!  8)

Use both manuals previously linked and start tracing wire.  You have a short somewhere in the fuel pump feed.

Good luck.
Rich

Offline flips87c30

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 07:56:43 PM »
I believe for the moment I have this issue fixed. While tracing wires I found a junction block full of wires that I am pretty sure has to do with the dual tank selector valve setup. When the PO ran the dual exhaust he put the cat directly underneath the junction block.

I was able to unplug the wires that were feeding power to the block. I also unplugged my drivers side sending unit, and what do you know they plug into each other. Thanks GM

I still don't know exactly what went wrong but I believe it has to be somewhere in the junction block or between the selector switch and the block. I will put up with the single tank until I get my new old truck on the road then this one can get some much needed tlc.

Thanks again bd

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 08:05:28 PM »
...anytime
Rich