Author Topic: Anybody have an insight on my locker problem?  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Kevin108

• Frequent Member
Anybody have an insight on my locker problem?
« on: December 11, 2002, 10:22:00 PM »
I took the locker out today and 3 of the 4 shear pins were broken. I asked the tech at Randy's what the broken pins were indicative of and he said, "Well, Lock-Rights aren't the strongest lockers out there..." I said I've got a stock 350 w/ 200,000 miles on it, so it's certainly no power monster. So I don't know... I ordered new pins and springs from Randy's and new thrust washers from the dealer and put my old spiders back in. I'm thinking about sending the locker back under warranty because the edges of the teeth are worn where it's slipped. He said warranty turn around is 3-months, so I guess that's good, I can let my open diff get me through the winter months and I should have a new locker at the end of it. I'm kinda leery about putting it back in after this but I definitely enjoyed it off-road. To be continued...  Any ideas as to what the broken pins could mean?

87 Silverado 4x4 Longbed Pickup
My Mods | Truck Pics | Kevin108@PavementSucks.com
Maker of 43 point turns!

Offline phaon1

Re: Anybody have an insight on my locker problem?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2002, 11:02:00 AM »
I had a lock-right blow up on me too.  I really don't think that they are a good product.  Even with a stock engine, you put a huge amount of stress on your drivetrain doing offroading, especially if you ever use 4 low.  I've since had an Auborn posi (sold the truck) and an Eaton locker, and both have proven bullet proof.
Before you throw any more money at that lock-right, I'd seriously look into an upgrade.

Chris

1981 GMC K10 – 75K miles on original parts (what few are left)
Exterior Mods –
- Royal Blue chameleon paint
- 15X11 Craiger chrome wheels
Interior Mods –
- B&M Light Truck Mega Shifter
- Grant steering wheel
- 6 Auto Meter Ultra Light gauges in dash, 2 on a-pillar
- Keyless entry
- Billet dash and door trim
- Solid headboard with four built in speakers
- Sony Mobil ES CD Deck, MTX truck boxes, Jensen AMP
Drivetrain Mods –
- GM Racing ZZ4 Engine with H.O.T. Cam kit, 150 amp alternator
- Hooker SS headers, 2 1/2" stainless exhaust, Dr. Gas x-pipe crossover, Flowmaster two chamber mufflers
- K&N X-Stream lid and 14" air cleaner.
- Coan 3000RPM custom built torque converter
- Built-up 700R4 transmission
- Yukon 4.11 gears with titanium pins in stock 10 bolt front and 12 bolt rear.
- Eaton heavy duty locker.

Offline Kevin108

• Frequent Member
Re: Anybody have an insight on my locker problem?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2002, 04:28:00 PM »
I e-mailed PowerTrax with what we've been talking about and their tech Dean Scammahorn wrote:

IF THE FACTORY PINION SHAFT MAY HAVE HAD OIL SLOTS THAT LOCATED ON THE DRIVER SLOTS AND CAUSED THE DRIVERS TO NOT WORK PROPERLY. THE PINION SHAFT SHOULD BE COMPLETELY ROUND. THE UNIT SHOULD BE RETURNED TO CHECK OUT TO BE
SURE IT WAS TO SPECS.

So basically I got an e-mail from Frankenstein...  FIRE BAD!  RETURN UNIT!  Sounds like a plan.

87 Silverado 4x4 Longbed Pickup
My Mods | Truck Pics | Kevin108@PavementSucks.com
Maker of 43 point turns!