Author Topic: something weird with tranny  (Read 4190 times)

Offline heyharris1

something weird with tranny
« on: February 21, 2009, 07:44:35 PM »
oki here's the delima, 86 c30 1 ton, has the 4 speed tranny sm465. i just happen to be crawling around under it and noticed a problem, the 2 bolts that hold the tranny to the bellhousing on the passanger side are missing, the two on the drivers side were loose. well i got 2 new bolts from the boneyard making sure they were the correct size and tightened them down, when i started the engine it made a repetive loud clicking sound like something was hitting a bolt or something. so i thought oki, these bolts were to long and went and got some shorter, once again same thing upon tightening the bolts the same loud metal on metal clicking sound came back,when i loosened up the bolts a small gap formed between the tranny and the bellhousing and the noise went away. what troubles me is it runs and drives great. went and passed deq today and drove around town. will leaving it like it is cause a problem.
thank you

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
Re: something weird with tranny
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 08:01:19 AM »
your starter needs shims

Offline heyharris1

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 09:42:01 AM »
cool, ty for the advice, i was hoping it was something simple

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 09:51:21 AM »
It could be a loose flywheel, loose pressure plate, clutch fork etc. causing the noise too. Get a stethoscope and see where exactly it's loudest. If it's inside the bellhousing you'll have to pull the trans.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline heyharris1

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 12:31:16 PM »
being i dont have a scope, i may just drop the tranny anyway. just to check everything out. the inspection cover was missing so something may have gotten up inside there. as far as i can see i dont plan on getting rid of the truck so if i spend a little time now i think it will give me peace of mind when im driving that i know it all is good instead of the " the nearest town is 80 miles away, God i hope that noise dont come back thought" and it dosent look to hard to drop, just heavy from what i hear.
thank you

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 12:43:19 PM »
It's not that hard. Good luck with it and let us know what you find.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline heyharris1

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 07:33:01 PM »
*UPDATE*
     oki, heres the update, got the tranny pulled today and the clutch is just shot all to heck, flywell is all scratched. could not 100 percent identify what was making the noise but judgeing from how everything looked it could have been multiple items. oki so here'sa my delima now, do i redo everything and put it back in. or do i just upgare to a 700r4. i will be doing alot of highwat driving so i figure since its out now is the time to really make the decision. time to start looking at what all is involved.
jim

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 07:54:28 PM »
I would definitely do the 700R4 upgrade. I hate the sm465 for any daily driving.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline heyharris1

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 07:04:32 PM »
oki, i got some questions for the swap, the flexplate i figure must come a 454, but does the year matter or will any do from car or truck. also the bracket from the carb with the tv cable. also looking for recomendation on a year for the tranny. one guy told me to make sure it has a k on the side of the bell housing, said it is a tougher tranny. i would also like to swap steering colums with one that has a shifter column, does it have to be from a c30 1 ton or will a blazer, suburban work, thinking if im going to do it tilt steering would be nice. i know these are alot of questions so thank you in advance.
jim

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 07:51:35 PM »
The flexplate should be for the year of your motor. 87 up is a good year. Any column will do, just make sure it has the right controls.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline heyharris1

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 08:28:59 PM »
oki, off to the boneyard on saturday, figure if i cant find a used flexplate i will just buy a new one.