Author Topic: Infamous $50 paint job!!  (Read 74650 times)

Offline MannyDantyla

• '83 k10, 350 sbc, sm465, np205
    • dannix.net
Re: Infamous $50 paint job!!
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 02:12:57 PM »
I'm the "Crusty Chevy" guy in your second link up there.  I'd do it again in a heart beat for a truck that doesn't have to be perfect.  I didn't thin mine at all, and I'm mostly fine with the outcome.  But I use it as a truck.

Enjoy the transformation!

That's awesome! Can I ask you some questions? Hows the Rustoleum holding up? Is it very hard? The Sherwin-Williams is not passing the scratch test after 3 days (but, to be fair, it's been extremely humid and not too warm. I'll give it a few more days for a fair trial).

How many years has it been and is it fading yet? My truck is going to be parked outside 24/7/365 and there's plenty of sunshine in Kansas.

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 02:58:41 PM »
Even fully cured you are going to be able to get a fingernail into the finish with either the Rustoleum or SW.  The curing mechanism is oxidation.  Humidity and low temps hurt the process.  In ideal conditions 30 day cure for non-catalyzed (no hardner) topcoats
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline SkinnyG

• Registered Users
  • Reducing resale value since 8-track days
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 06:06:27 PM »
My truck was painted with Tremclad (Canada).  I haven't really been impressed with the Rustoleum we get up here, but I haven't done the roller paintjob with Rustoleum.  The spraybombs have not been "all that" by comparison.

The Tremclad was rolled a year ago.  The rusty spots, clearly inadequately prepped, are rusting through again - but I kind of expected that. The inaccessible backsides of many panels are n-a-s-t-y for rust, and I was not after a "cherry" or "show quality" restoration - I wanted one colour, presentable-from-a-distance, and easy to touch up.

Leading edge of the hood is not showing any rock chip damage or anything yet.  There are some chips here and there from other things, like doors I guess.  It doesn't seem to stay super stuck to the body like a catalyst paint does.  Probably inadequate prep?

Paint is not going chalky or fading yet (but it will), and the truck is stored outside 24/7.  Lots of sun in the summers where I am - it is NOT "Rain"couver here. We also had a decent winter with a good foot of snow or so.
The Crusty Chevy: 1977 Silverado, shortboxed & dropped, potato-potato.

Offline fxrsrider

• Registered Users
  • '75 C10, 385ci, TH350, Positraction, 5" drop
    • pauldemarcostudios.com
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 08:30:11 PM »
perhaps I'm the odd ball around here, but when it comes to autos, cars and trucks....particularly the old ones (these days, that includes the 80's...even though emissions regs apply to anything later than '76 here in CA), I just can't condone "the cheap way."  Much respect to being resourceful....and clearly, from the links provided, this isn't the first of it's kind...after 130 years of automobile knowledge (ref: Benz Patent Motor Car, the first automobile [1885 – 1886]), to put Rustoleum on your truck is short changing oneself, let alone Sherwin-Williams.

The "Infamous $50 paint job," is certainly an eye catching title.  But to put things into perspective, I refinished a whole body (1972 MG Midget, see pics below) with professional grade PPG DP-90 etching primer for $75/quart...purchased from my local body shop supply shop.  I stripped all of the paint off using a steel brush attached to my Milwaukee grinder.  Then I prepped the body for paint by hand with green Scotch Brite pads and Metal Prep.  I sprayed the DP-90 using the Chinese paint guns from the same body shop supply and a Porter-Cable pancake air compressor.  I did all of this in my own garage and driveway in Los Angeles, CA.

Certainly, with all tools and prep supply, etc....my primer paint job cost more than $50......but the quality of the primer alone would outlast both Rustoleum and Sherwin-Williams combined.  Sometimes it "pays" to spend a little more to do things right, than to cut corners.

Offline fitz

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 12:22:56 PM »
Certainly, with all tools and prep supply, etc....my primer paint job cost more than $50......but the quality of the primer alone would outlast both Rustoleum and Sherwin-Williams combined.  Sometimes it "pays" to spend a little more to do things right, than to cut corners.

I think there is room for the $50 paint job in this hobby.
What is the average price for a body shop to do a nice daily driver quality paint job?  I'm guessing $3500-$5000.  Not everyone wants to spend that kind of money on an old truck.
 As far as spraying it yourself at home, that's not always an option.  There are zoning laws issues,, over spray to deal with, and not everyone has an air compressor that can keep up with a spray gun.
  Quality automotive paint products don't come cheap.  The materials to paint my 81 step side cost $1000.  That truck was a cab off restoration with all new GM body panels.  Would I spent $1000 on materials to paint my M1028 CUCV (MIlitary K30)?  probably not.  There are lots of CUCV's  around that were painted with flat green Behr paint from Home Depot (about $30 a gallon).  These paint jobs are well accepted in the CUCV community.
  I'm looking forward to seeing the results that MannyDanyla comes up with.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 08:25:52 PM by bd »

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 06:03:00 AM »
A paint Job on an old car starts at $5K and goes up from there

I wouldn't spend that on a paint job in a million years
$1000 tops

We have about $5K in the truck total including purchase price and Fuel injection and NV3500 5 speed conversion
And 4" lift and new 35" tires

Be nice to have it all one color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2015, 06:18:21 AM »
the only way ill paint my truck is if i do it myself or i have a friend that paints and that owes me something then they do it just for cost of material.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline MannyDantyla

• dannix.net
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015, 12:40:17 AM »
perhaps I'm the odd ball around here, but when it comes to autos, cars and trucks....particularly the old ones (these days, that includes the 80's...even though emissions regs apply to anything later than '76 here in CA), I just can't condone "the cheap way."  Much respect to being resourceful....and clearly, from the links provided, this isn't the first of it's kind...after 130 years of automobile knowledge (ref: Benz Patent Motor Car, the first automobile [1885 – 1886]), to put Rustoleum on your truck is short changing oneself, let alone Sherwin-Williams.

The "Infamous $50 paint job," is certainly an eye catching title.  But to put things into perspective, I refinished a whole body (1972 MG Midget, see pics below) with professional grade PPG DP-90 etching primer for $75/quart...purchased from my local body shop supply shop.  I stripped all of the paint off using a steel brush attached to my Milwaukee grinder.  Then I prepped the body for paint by hand with green Scotch Brite pads and Metal Prep.  I sprayed the DP-90 using the Chinese paint guns from the same body shop supply and a Porter-Cable pancake air compressor.  I did all of this in my own garage and driveway in Los Angeles, CA.

**You can make your point of view known without being insulting. We are all entitled to our opinions. Keep it clean and cool please**

you make a point. I'm doing a LOT of body work and I want to protect it with something very tough. That's my biggest concern with this method. I've already spent $100s on patch panels, bondo, welding wire, rust products, primers, glazing putties, etc. Why would I not spend at least that on the top coat?

From everything I've come to learn about body paint, is that there is no satisfactory middle ground. Either you pay several thousands and get a show-quality paint job, or you pay a few hundred and get a modest paint job. This truck is a not going to win any shows, and I'm OK with that. It's my learning vehicle. Just today, I learned how to weld sheet metal. Lets just say it's going to need plenty of bondo so that it doesn't show. And if it turns out like the DS door I just block sanded, it's will show.

So for someone with an excellent vehicle that was perfected by a skilled body worker, the $50 paint job would not do it justice. But for someone like me, who's having fun working on a new project and learning a new trade, while on a serious budget of $1500 (that's to include new tires and rims), lets just say I'm going to be VERY happy with ANY $50 paint job!!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 06:54:51 PM by VileZambonie »

Offline MannyDantyla

• dannix.net
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 12:44:11 AM »
I finished the body work on the other half of the truck and painted it all white. I'm going to wait till all the body work is finished to paint the color coat, with the white stripe masked off.

The roller method is excellent for getting in between the bed and cap without having to remove the bed.

The rustoleum goes on SO much better and flatter than the sherwin-williams All-Surface paint.

In fact, I've decided to just to go with the hunter green rustoleum. It's easier to apply, cheaper, dries harder and faster, and just better. The hunter green is a fine color. It's not super fantastic, but I'll be very happy with it. Here's a comparison of the too colors:

This thread is about the paint job, not the whole project truck, so I'll try to keep this short but there is some work that goes on under the paint after all.

I borrowed my friends wire-feed welder. No gas, flux core only. I'll just have to be careful. But first I needed a place to set up shop. The welder needs a 120v power outlet with ground (or else the motor will blow, my friend says) and there were none in the garage (that's filled with motorcycles and a s10 cab :whymewhyme: ). So I backed up the truck to the front door and ran an extention cord out of it! Lol. Hopefully the neighbors don't call the cops again for "parking on an unimproved surface".

The tailgate of a K10 with a 4" lift make for the PERFECT standing work-bench! lol

Working on the fenders for the conversion to the 73/74 front clip. Here's what I was looking with the paint removed

Cut out the cancer:

Then everything inside got a heavy coat of rusoleam "rust reformer", I don't know if it's worth shoot but it's better than nothing.

Now it's time to weld. I practiced on a butt weld and a lap weld first, the butt weld was much better so thats what I did. The harder part was all the grinding and fitting, not the welding. By the fourth patch panel I was pretty good at it, but below is my first attempt, it's going to need some filler in those gaps...

The other side:

After some grinding you can see where the welder blew through, that was more of a problem where the gaps between panels where too large.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 12:06:47 PM by MannyDantyla »

Offline fxrsrider

• Registered Users
    • pauldemarcostudios.com
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2015, 09:49:34 PM »

But.. you make a point. I'm doing a LOT of body work and I want to protect it with something very tough. That's my biggest concern with this method. I've already spent $100s on patch panels, bondo, welding wire, rust products, primers, glazing putties, etc. Why would I not spend at least that on the top coat?

From everything I've come to learn about body paint, is that there is no satisfactory middle ground. Either you pay several thousands and get a show-quality paint job, or you pay a few hundred and get a modest paint job. This truck is a not going to win any shows, and I'm OK with that. It's my learning vehicle. Just today, I learned how to weld sheet metal. Lets just say it's going to need plenty of bondo so that it doesn't show. And if it turns out like the DS door I just block sanded, it's will show.

So for someone with an excellent vehicle that was perfected by a skilled body worker, the $50 paint job would not do it justice. But for someone like me, who's having fun working on a new project and learning a new trade, while on a serious budget of $1500 (that's to include new tires and rims), lets just say I'm going to be VERY happy with ANY $50 paint job!!

I meant no disrespect.....and your point about having fun and enjoying your process is, at the end of the day, the most important point made in this thread.

I do believe there is a middle ground.  The other posts in this thread about $5000-$10,000 paint jobs are true only for those guys who want a "high quality" finish (beware, some body shops will charge all the money and cut corners all day long on your truck).  These "paint job quotes" are for people who don't want to or can't do the work themselves.  The most "work" they're doing is calling a body shop and asking, "how much would a paint job cost for my..."  Shoot, you can have your truck wrapped in 3m for $1500-$3000.  :o

You, on the other hand seem to be a hands on guy and your work (particularly in the most recent pics) shows that you get good results.  Nice!  8)  Again...so long as it works for you...this is America after all!

The point of my original post was to say that I sprayed PPG primer on a whole car (a tiny one, I admit) for $75 (not including tools......but the tools I used were pretty typical "garage shop" tools, except for the paint sprayers....and I honestly forget how much they cost....but I bought the cheap ones knowing that I could apply two-part paint on cars and car parts for awhile....so it was a small investment).  So, there...I believe.... is the middle ground.  You can rattle-can primer (etching primer) the parts that you work on (body filler, welds, etc.)....clean and score the original/current paint with red Scotch Brite pads.....then paint the whole truck with a relatively inexpensive two part paint that you can buy at your local body shop supply (you don't have to shoot PPG).  Just talk with the guys at the body shop supply and tell them what you're doing....they'll generally lead you in the right direction.  (one hint....put a little flattening mix in the two part and save yourself the trouble, time, and cost of clear coat, color sanding, and buffing compound).  You could probably get all the paint you need for $100-$150.  And it's still dang fun to do!  ;D

Maybe borrow a buddy's air compressor, if that's the one thing you don't have.  Not sure about your region.....but here in L.A. ....there are a number of paint booths set up for the do-it-yourself-er.  $50, gets you a half a day with your own paint booth, equipped with ventilation, and compressed air.  (though, as I noted, you don't need a paint booth.  If your neighbors are used to you running that welder and grinder on your truck, they won't blink twice seeing you spray some paint.....heck, you just might make them smile!  :)

Some details worth noting: even PPG primer doesn't seal the car's metal.  So, if had I put that car outside, then all of the seams would have rusted (in my case I took the car down to metal).  I'm not sure if your paint will seal...maybe it will, maybe it won't....just not sure.  However, that's why auto finishes are two part mixes....there's a chemical bonding that occurs in the paint to create a "paint shell"--for lack of a better term--around your auto body to protect it from the elements.  The body shops speed this process up by "baking" the cars after they paint....it's a production line sorta thing....but you do not need a heated paint booth to apply the paint.  The paint will cure on its own...say in 20-30ish minutes.

On a more personal note, I toured w/The Boys back in the 90's.....so your window sticker caught my eye.   ;)

Looking forward to seeing more process and the final result when you're finished!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 06:56:58 PM by VileZambonie »

Offline MannyDantyla

• dannix.net
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2015, 11:08:25 PM »
fxrsrider, thanks man. Actually, since my last post, we (roommates and I) scored a 5 gallon 2hp air compressor. So it wouldn't be much more to get a paint gun and paint. I'll keep it as an option, it will be at least a week before I can start painting for real. Oh, and you're right about the neighbors! lol, the ones that don't hate me for all the noise are walking by and giving me comments. The next door neighbor's care giver (the neighbor is 103 years old!! not even kidding, hopefully she doesn't hear so well, haha) anyways the care giver came up to me and asked if I can change her daughtors brakes. I've only changed brake pads once and it was a long while ago, but I said yeah I'll to it tomorrow haha.

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2015, 08:48:54 AM »
If you use the isocyinate hardener use a fresh air supply hood
It WILL cause PERMANENT lung damage if you breath it

Also
Cooling up a extra section of air hose between the co
Press or and gun In a tub of ice water will
Get rid of most of the water vapor before it gets to the gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SkinnyG

• Registered Users
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2015, 07:27:53 PM »

This is one of the dissuaders for me to spray a quality paint myself.  The older I get, the more chemical sensitivities I am acquiring, and I ain't spraying that stuff in a residential area with kids around neither.  Just my choice in this matter.

Offline fxrsrider

• Registered Users
    • pauldemarcostudios.com
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2015, 09:24:58 PM »

This is one of the dissuaders for me to spray a quality paint myself.  The older I get, the more chemical sensitivities I am acquiring, and I ain't spraying that stuff in a residential area with kids around neither.  Just my choice in this matter.

maybe we should stop driving non-emission controlled cars too....those have dangerous emissions that can cause PERMANENT damage to humans and the environment.  Add gasoline to that list too....oh, and not to mention the gasoline refining process altogether.  Maybe we can all lobby our local congressmen to put very strict rules on all paint shops....so that eventually all auto paint will be outlawed too.  Oh...and not too be too off-the-wall, make sure never to barbecue...charcoal and propane are pretty dangerous to the lungs too....not to mention fire.  All....very good points.

Or...get a 3m mask with 07046 organic vapor cartridges and don't invite the neighborhood rascals to hang out with you when you're spraying.

Offline SkinnyG

• Registered Users
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2015, 10:43:32 PM »
Spoken like a young feller. (grin)