Author Topic: Fender and door alignment problems  (Read 6332 times)

Offline ReggieB2505

• New Users
Fender and door alignment problems
« on: September 13, 2009, 02:58:58 PM »
I have recently been working on restoring a 79 short box chevy.  I am having some problems aligning the fenders with the door.  I have get all of my body lines lined up but the gab between the door and fender on the drivers side is giving me fits.  I have the passanger side all lined up and everything looks great but the issue im having with the drivers side is the 3/4 inch gap between where the fender meets the door.  The gap at the top of the fender looks good but gets much bigger towards the bottom.  Any suggestions of how this could be?  I've noticed the sub frame of the cab looks to be sagging a little but could this be my only problem?

Offline 87OldYeller

• Frequent Member
Re: Fender and door alignment problems
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 03:05:34 PM »
Are the fenders or doors aftermarket or OEM ?

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 03:35:53 PM »
I have recently been working on restoring a 79 short box chevy.  I am having some problems aligning the fenders with the door.  I have get all of my body lines lined up but the gab between the door and fender on the drivers side is giving me fits.  I have the passanger side all lined up and everything looks great but the issue im having with the drivers side is the 3/4 inch gap between where the fender meets the door.  The gap at the top of the fender looks good but gets much bigger towards the bottom.  Any suggestions of how this could be?  I've noticed the sub frame of the cab looks to be sagging a little but could this be my only problem?

The sagging cab is more than likely your only issue.  Welcome to the site...
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline ReggieB2505

• New Users
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 08:57:44 AM »
The doors are OEM and the fenders are aftermarket.... Im going to reinforce the cab mounts later this week and hopefully that does the trick.  Thanks for the help!

Offline 77chevystepside

• Registered Users
  • 77 Chevy Stepside 4X4
    • 77 Chevy Stepside Restoration
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 11:41:58 AM »
I had a similar problem but both of my doors were tight at the top and loose at the bottom. I think my new cab mounts tipped the cab forward slightly. I made the decision to cut down the radiator support mounts (new) and somewhat solved the problem. In hindsight, I wish I either cut down the rear cab mounts or built up the front cab mounts because my box gap is now slightly wider at the top than the bottom. Only the trained eye can see it. Good luck but keep in mind whatever you do with the cab will influence the cab/box gap. Good luck

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 02:25:02 PM »
Get the bed level before you start making other pieces match.  Since the bed is solidly mounted, and the largest line, I would get it mounted and level with the frame/ground and then match the cab and doors to it and then match the front to the cab/doors.