Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I believe if your truck has cruise control. I think those that have cruise control has an upper and lower cable. None cruise control I believe has one cable. I will be corrected by someone if I am wrong. I don't have cruise control and only have 1 cable.
Morning,

I have a '79 C10 350/Auto with a noise speedometer cable.  My truck has the two-piece (upper and lower) setup. 

I've removed them to measure and get a new set, but I can't find anything that matches.  The lower cable is 23", and the upper cable is 44".

On the upper cable, I can find 41". Short but close that maybe I'm not measuring it the way the factor does.  On the lower cable I can't find anything close to 23".  Also, I'm not sure if they have the right ends.  Some pictures show a male end like I have, some show female, and some show something completely different.

Why is the cable two pieces anyway?  Seems like it just complicates things.

Am I missing something obvious here?

I did remove the drive on the transmission.  The gear was in perfect shape, and the square drive looked good, too.

K

73-87 Chevy & GMC Trucks / Re: 75 K20 starter solenoid
« Last post by Mike81K10 on Today at 08:37:33 AM »
Sorry I missed the part about pulling the starter. You have to pull the starter. I was thinking without replacing the starter. Not much to pulling the starter though! You cannot get to the screws to remove the solenoid with it installed.

You can buy a Starter Solenoid for about $20.00 if you just want to replace it. It is fast and easy to replace. Take out 2-3 screws that hold it on and disconnect the wire on the back. it will come right off.
73-87 Chevy & GMC Trucks / Re: 75 K20 starter solenoid
« Last post by Mike81K10 on Today at 07:57:35 AM »
Yes, I did many years ago. Have not done it lately because anymore I just replace the starter. Some starters at local parts shops will give a lifetime warranty.
73-87 Chevy & GMC Trucks / 75 K20 starter solenoid
« Last post by aren are on Today at 07:45:17 AM »
Greetings,
Can the starter solenoid be replaced without pulling the starter?
Looks possible at a glance...
Thanks,
Aren
General Discussion / Re: Automobiles and accessories
« Last post by j250trxr on May 05, 2024, 09:40:17 PM »
Thank you! Kinda figured something was off with them!
General Discussion / Re: Automobiles and accessories
« Last post by Mike81K10 on May 05, 2024, 07:40:52 PM »
Don't trust them, avoid them! Besides, don't do business with anyplace in NY.
General Discussion / Automobiles and accessories
« Last post by j250trxr on May 05, 2024, 07:31:06 PM »
Anybody ever buy from automobiles and accessories? Can’t tell if they are legit or it’s a scam! Seems kinda fishy. Won’t take credit card or pay-pal.
501A W 45th St, New York, NY 10036, United States
Engine/Drivetrain / Re: 357 (350 - .40 Over) Build Questions Etc
« Last post by Mike81K10 on May 05, 2024, 11:58:55 AM »
I checked out the 1995 Cprice  5.7L engine and the pushrods run just over 7.8 in length. I used a couple of methods now (last time today) to check for the correct pushrod lengths and both methods came up to a 7.200 pushrod length.

The last method I used to check the pushrod length was very easy and effective. I checked for the rocker geometry, which gives you the length of the pushrod. Seemed to be very accurate.

Rocker Geometry:
1) The Gross Valve Lift of Cam: .792 / 2 = .396
2) Thread Pitch on 3/8” studs = 24 TPI (.042” per turn)
3) Make 90 Degree Mark on rocker arm (Center bearing to Center roller)
4) Put a mark on top of adjuster nut so the number of turns can be counted
5) Put Rocker on the stud and measure with an Allen wrench from valve to stud the 90 degree line.
6) Figure to determine turns on adjuster nut: .396 /.042 = 9.43 (turns needed)
7) Put tape on top of adjuster nut and mark it to determine the number of turns.

Figures:
Intake Lift .495
Exhaust Lift .502
Rockers 1.6:1 (Full Roller - Scorpion Rockers)
.495 x 1.6 = .792 (Gross Lift)
.792 / 2 = .396 (Half of gross valve lift)
.396 / .042 = 9.43 (Turns needed on adjuster nut)
Afterwards: Insert and adjust pushrod checker, then removed rocker and pushrod checker. Measure pushrod checker.

Equation used to find Gross Valve Lift:
Intake Lobe Lift x Rocker Arm Ratio = Inches Gross Lift

I went ahead and ordered and the information on the pushrods from Summit Racing is below:
HDR Thickwall Chromoly Pushrods SUM-14957200
Compatible with Guideplates: Yes
Pushrod Tube Diameter: 5/16 in.
Pushrod Material: Chromoly
Top Tip Style: Ball
Bottom Tip Style: Ball
Intake Overall Length (in.): 7.200 in.
Exhaust Overall Length (in.): 7.200 in.
One-Piece Pushrod: Yes
Oiling: Yes
Tapered: No
Tip Attachment: Formed
Top Tip Diameter: 5/16 in.
Bottom Tip Diameter: 5/16 in.
Wall Thickness (in.): 0.105 in.
Heat-Treated: Yes
Quantity: Sold as a set of 16.
Notes: Commonly used with SBC O.E. hydraulic roller cams, .105 wall 210 degree ball ends.
Summit Racing™ HDR Thickwall Chromoly Pushrods
Summit Racing™ HDR premium thick-wall pushrods are a great upgrade for your engine. Factory pushrods (and even .080 wall aftermarket versions) act like a pogo stick in a running engine. Not only is static spring pressure working against them, it's also the valvetrain inertial mass increasing with RPM. This reduces power and valvetrain life. While a .080 thin-wall pushrod may not break, it doesn't mean it's the best option.

Enter the HDR's. Summit™ used FEA (Finite Element Analysis) in the initial testing. We didn't just compare them to thin-wall welded-ball factory pushrods, but with aftermarket models, as well. The results speak for themselves!

* The Summit™ HDR 5/16 x .105 wall pushrods have 20 percent less stress and 25 percent less deflection than a typical 5/16 x .080 chromoly pushrod
* The Summit™ HDR Pro LS 11/32 x .120 wall have 25 percent less stress and 28 percent less deflection than a typical 5/16 x .080 wall chromoly pushrod
Engine/Drivetrain / Re: 357 (350 - .40 Over) Build Questions Etc
« Last post by VileZambonie on May 05, 2024, 07:30:10 AM »
Don't over think it. You need the pushrods I mentioned above.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10