Author Topic: tranny woes  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Lobsterbak

tranny woes
« on: April 05, 2006, 04:56:00 PM »

Ok, I finally ID'd my Tranny in my 81 C10..its a New Process A833. Does anyone know if this tranny is worth holding onto? Or should I continue to put my SM465 in there (Motors are getting pulled tommorow, old 465 getting taken off and the motor junked) The only thing that may cause me problems in switching the trannys is the bellhousings...the SM465 is a Hydraulic clutch, and the A833 is a Manual, and Id like to keep the manual clutch. So, will my bellhousing on the A833 work on the SM465??

The driveshafts may also be different, I cant use the driveshaft off the truck that the SM465 is coming out of because its a longbed. And Im not sure if the one on my shortbed will work...

Please help me get this sorted out ;)  

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: tranny woes
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 12:19:00 PM »
There are a few people that want the 883 trans because 4th is actually overdrive.  I wouldn't throw it away since you can probably get a couple hundred for it.

On the bellhousing, I don't believe they will switch, you will just have to check to find out.

You will need the input shaft off the donor truck for sure.  Can you get all the hydraulic stuff for the donor, you can probably sell it here.  I would be interested in some of it

The driveshaft will probably not work, I think it might need to be shortened.  I would measure from the bellhousing to the yoke on the donor and compare that to your existing setup to get an idea.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline Lobsterbak

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 10:38:00 PM »
Hey man, I got the trannys out, and the bellhousing off the A833 worked great, and the clutch linkage works on it as well.

I gave the tranny to someone else who was gonna sell the almuninum on the case..But i will try to get it back tommorow! Do you know anyone who wants it? As for the hydraulic stuff, the donor truck is already gone, But I might be able to get that stuff off it, as its new owners are putting it in there 'junkyard' and said I can take what I need.

Tommorow I need to figure out what to do with my driveshaft....

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 12:11:00 PM »
I am sure I can find someone that wants the 883, I wouldn't scrap it.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project