Author Topic: tranny transfer  (Read 4678 times)

Offline 85c10

• Registered Users
tranny transfer
« on: April 03, 2006, 07:23:00 PM »
has anyone ever switched from an automatic to a manuel transmission? is it hard, because im waning to do this with my truck
Shane

Offline Z28 c10

• Registered Users
Re: tranny transfer
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 08:08:00 PM »
If you can find a hydraulic clutch setup that would most likely be the easiest way to go. I'm not sure if you'd have much room to mount the resiviour though. I'm saying to go w/ hydraulic because you'd have to weld in the brackets and mounting points for the old style clutch linkage. either way you go, if you decide to do it, take lots of pics, you canput them together and might be able to submit them to Roundedline to add to Tech forum. Theres probably a few of us in here that would like to see how it's done.

JayTater

Z28 C10

Offline 85c10

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 08:34:00 PM »
well i was thinking about goin with the mechanical linkage, and gettin all the brackets off of another truck. oh, im found a 350 out of a 68 cutlass, and a turbo 350 tranny for $200. hopefully gettin it this weekend, and my truck is in the freakin shop gettin brakes done all the way around, i dont care though because my parents are payin 4 it.
Shane

1985 chevy c-10 silveraldo

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 12:09:00 AM »
I am assuming your truck is an 85 from your screen name. you can swap it over. Your best bet would be a donor truck for all the parts hydraulic or manual. 85 would have hydraulic form the factory. You will need the bracket that holds the clutch and brake pedals as the automatic one is not made for a clutch pedal. This braket is held up by the two large studs that also hold the steering column up. and the other end is hel by four of the six bolts that hold the brake booster on. The older of these brakets are standard thread on the outside, and the newer ones are metric. The older linkage style you will need the clutch pedal, bracket that is rivited to the frame and you can bolt it to the frame of your truck no welding for any of this project. There is a arm that goes from this bracket to the ball that threads into the bell housing. ( Manual bell housings and hydraulic bell housings are not the same. ) There is a rod that goes from the arm to the clutch arm, there is a rod that goes from the pedal through the floor to the linkages above.
As far as th hydraulic set up you will need the bell housing salve cylinder, master cylinder, both lines, and the clutch pedal it self.
I am sure I probably forgot something but thats the basics.
What are the plans for the olds 350 and TH 350? Whats in your truck now, 305 or 350, 4.3?  

Edited by: Blazin at: 4/3/06 11:11 pm
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Z28 c10

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 07:55:00 PM »
Thanks for the info on this one Blazin, I was'nt sure on the welding (New or used brackets).

JayTater

Z28 C10

Offline 85c10

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 03:36:00 PM »
what i got in my truck now is a 305, and a turbo 350 tranny. im wanting to start rebuilding the 350 and drop it in place of the 305. ive only got 5 weeks of school left so money isnt goin 2 be a problem.
Shane

www.cardomain.com/ride/795587/1

Edited by: 85c10 at: 4/6/06 2:38 pm

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 09:54:00 PM »
You might already know this but incase you don't, the 350 Olds is not the same as a 305 or 350 / small block Chevy.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline 85c10

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 03:10:00 PM »
really? whats the difference, i know some of em have diff. heads
Shane

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 10:04:00 PM »
They are a big block B.O.P. Buick, Olds, Pontiac, bell housing bolt pattern. Nothing from them to a small block interchanges, totally diferent motor. They can be put in C K series trucks but you need everything from the donor car.  

Offline 85c10

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 12:53:00 PM »
i think that the tranny that is coming with it bolts up to it b/c it came out of the same car.
Shane

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2006, 11:06:00 PM »
I saw that in your earlier post. It still will not bolt in directly. motor mounts are diferent etc. The closest thing a 73 - 87 chevy truck came with to a olds motor from the factory was a 350 diesel.

Offline 85c10

• Registered Users
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 09:40:00 PM »
if it doesnt work my dads got a 1964 pontiac tempest 4-door custom, i could put it in. its got an inline 6 and a powerglide, think its a 292, it needs work though.
Shane

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 05:38:00 AM »
It can work I have seen it done quite a few times. Just letting you know its not a pull and drop is all. I have a 403 olds thats been punched 30 over cam etc. with a TH400. I have been looking for worthy a C 10 to drop it into.