Author Topic: hard to push throttle pedal  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
hard to push throttle pedal
« on: June 06, 2019, 08:48:29 PM »
 Having problem on my 87 Chevy , 350 ,700r4, TBI, 2wd short box. Gas pedal is hard to push.
Was told problem was related to trans cable adjustment. Never heard of that. Trans shifts great.
Has new throttle cable. Any ideas?
Jerry

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: hard to push throttle pedal
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 04:48:26 AM »
Use a lubricating penetrating oil on the throttle shaft at the bushings and work it in. You can pop the linkage off of the TBI and see if it is cable related or not.

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline MIKE S

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 10:24:58 AM »
Pop the trans cable off the throttle body and try it. If it easier then the inner cable wears into the outer casing and causes it to drag. Do not drive it with cable disconnected. It will burn up trans in short order. If you replace it you must get adjustment right. It is critical to shift timing and proper shift feel. It controls line pressure.

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 02:32:10 PM »
Thanks for the tips. First I used a penetrating/ lubricating type spray on both throttle blade bushings.
Made no diff. Next I removed throttle cable, pedal was easy. As I said earlier, throttle cable is new.
But when I worked throttle alone by hand , the spring was quite strong. So, I would say my problem
Is the spring. Looks like it's quite a job to unwind and reset maybe 1 wrap less without removing. Any ideas.
Jerry

Offline MIKE S

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 02:42:11 PM »
I would not try to unwind the spring. You will more than likely break a screw in shaft. They are usually peened. 87 throttle body’s when everything is right is slightly on the stiff side compared to say a 88-95 series. More than likely it is the tv cable to trans.

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 07:05:48 AM »
More than likely I'll leave it like it is.  If something changes, l'll let you know. Thanks all.
Jerry