Author Topic: TV cable to short?  (Read 4957 times)

Offline BADAZ chevy guy

• Registered Users
  • Chevy! My drug of choice!
TV cable to short?
« on: April 19, 2014, 01:45:33 PM »
I'm having trouble getting my 77 to shift right. 350 transmission behind a 350ci with Q-jet carb. The engine RPM's are to high when it shifts. I lengthened the TV cable as far as I could. it's better, but still shifting to late. Are there different length cables for the 350?

Offline SomeTexan

• Registered Users
  • No such thing as too much hp
Re: TV cable to short?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 06:20:33 PM »
For a th350, shouldn't it have a kickdown cable instead of a tv cable? I've always set kickdowns so they are tight at full throttle. Have you done anything to the trans lately?
86 swb c10, LQ4/glide with 80mm turbo

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 07:06:38 PM »
A kick down cable is lame men's terms. TV cable is the normal name. They are the same thing. TV is Throttle Valve cable, when it pulls it moves parts in the trans to direct fluid to the proper places with the throttle valve. Basic as I can explain, I'm starting to learn more bout transmissions. So kick down and tv are the same. I had a TH350 and now I have 700R4, the kick down on the 350 and the tv on the 700 look almost identical.

LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline BADAZ chevy guy

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 09:39:09 PM »
I've also heard that the vacuum module could be leaking. I'm going to check it out aqs soon as I get a radiator back ing the truck.

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 09:50:55 PM »
A kick down cable is lame men's terms. TV cable is the normal name. They are the same thing. TV is Throttle Valve cable, when it pulls it moves parts in the trans to direct fluid to the proper places with the throttle valve. Basic as I can explain, I'm starting to learn more bout transmissions. So kick down and tv are the same. I had a TH350 and now I have 700R4, the kick down on the 350 and the tv on the 700 look almost identical.

Kevin, That is not accurate. On the TH350 as the OP has, the kickdown cable only "goes along for the ride" as the throttle is opening from idle...doing nothing until full throttle is reached (assuming it is adjusted correctly) & then commanding a 3rd to 2nd downshift. A TH350 transmission does not need a kickdown cable to operate, drive, shift, ect. the only thing missing would be the automatic 3rd to 2nd downshift @ wide open throttle only...the trans can/will last just as long without a kickdown as with one...has NO effect on any other function.
Now the 700r4 TV cable is a completely different animal...it needs to be in place for the trans to work, shift & LIVE. The valve is moved as the throttle is opened/closed 

To the OP, I would suggest you unhook the kickdown cable from the carb to take it out of the equation during your testing & set it properly after you have figured out the problem. My first thought would be to look for either a bad vacuum hose on the modulator or a bad modulator. The problem could also be with the governor, so I'd look at it after checking the modulator. Good Luck, Hope this Helps, Lorne 

Offline BADAZ chevy guy

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 10:18:53 PM »
I know where the vacuum module is, but I don't know where the governor is. HELP!

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 12:13:14 AM »
Round cover on the driver's side. Painted Black in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFiKswiTMJU

Offline BADAZ chevy guy

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 12:24:10 AM »

The video is for a 700r4. I have a TH-350

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 12:27:12 AM »
Oh I see. As I am new too transmissions I will have to pull my foot out of my mouth. Haha, it appears I have been misinformed. Thanks for clarifying Haulin.

LTZ Cheyenne C20

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 12:45:43 AM »

The video is for a 700r4. I have a TH-350

The governor is under the steel cover and located in the same position on both transmissions.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline BADAZ chevy guy

• Registered Users
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 01:48:29 AM »
ahhh. Okay.