Author Topic: Oil Pressure Gauge Quit Working  (Read 1348 times)

Offline gmcthunder

Oil Pressure Gauge Quit Working
« on: April 22, 2014, 05:00:04 PM »
I replaced my valve cover gaskets today and after about 5 minutes of driving the oil pressure gauge went to zero.  I stopped the vehicle immediately and thought I would see oil everywhere but I couldn't find a leak.  When I got back in the truck and started it the oil gauge went off the chart high and has been stuck there.  I don't want to drive the truck if something is going on but my suspension is it is the gauge.  Any thoughts on what to check first?  How to fix the gauge?  My battery gauge doesn't work either but has never worked since I got the truck.  Thanks in advance.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: Oil Pressure Gauge Quit Working
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 05:10:01 PM »
     Did you unplug the wire for the oil sending unit ?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 05:47:05 PM by bd »
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline gmcthunder

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 05:14:01 PM »
I am not certain if I unplugged it or not.  However, I unplugged a hose that I wasn't sure of to get the valve covers off and then plugged it back in after I put the valve cover back on.  I also noticed just a minute ago that that same hose had touched the manifold and was melted but not all the way through.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 05:47:26 PM by bd »

Offline gmcthunder

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 05:49:54 PM »
I checked the instrument panel fuse and it had blown.  I replaced it and the gauges started working again. I must have grounded something while I was moving wires around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk