Author Topic: "rear vacuum break assembly" and detent cable...  (Read 2789 times)

Offline 4x4orbust

• Frequent Member
"rear vacuum break assembly" and detent cable...
« on: June 17, 2009, 05:51:14 PM »
what do they do and where can i get them??

82 K10, 355 with quadrajet, th350

still trying to get my choke properly functioning.  i figured i would go through a checklist and find whats working and whats not.   i turned the key on, without starting the truck and watched the choke blades open, so i know that the coil works.   I then began checking all linkeages and movement of parts.  all there and move freely. 

then i came across the rear vacuum break assembly.    figured it had a vacuum line to it so i should test it.   put my vacuum tool thingy on it and pumped up the vacuum.  it didn't hold a vacuum, and the plunger didn't go into the assembly.  i figured the vacuum would suck the plunger in, and at least open the choke a little, but no go.  any help is greatly appreciated.

the T.v./ detent cable snapped while working on all this other stuff, so now i have to replace that too.  any hidden problems when replacing one?

on the bright side, i got my drivers side gas tank down for repairs!!  (new straps, lines, sending unit)

thanks
phil
1982 chevy K-10 SWB, 355 th350/np208. 2.5"lift, 33" swampers, headers/duals,  current project

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: "rear vacuum break assembly" and detent cable...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
You can get both at any decent auto parts store. Rock Auto has them
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 4x4orbust

• Frequent Member
Re: "rear vacuum break assembly" and detent cable...
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 08:32:32 PM »
does the vacuum break hold vacuum when it's applied?  or slowly let the vacuum go?   when the vacuum is applied, is it supposed to suck the plunger in?  can't find anything on it in my service manual. (original 82 from gm) 
also, when the engine first starts (from overnight sit), is this the thing that pulls the choke off a little?   my choke stays closed when started and only starts to pull back when the coil heats up. 
1982 chevy K-10 SWB, 355 th350/np208. 2.5"lift, 33" swampers, headers/duals,  current project