Author Topic: Neutral safety switch  (Read 2855 times)

Offline Magic1

• Registered Users
Neutral safety switch
« on: September 21, 2012, 07:50:52 PM »
I'm no electrician, so don't laugh. Lol. While rewiring my 82 Sierra I connected the wire to the neutral safety switch at the base of the steering column but don't know where the other end connects. I'm using a painless wiring harness which comes with one short wire that's got terminals on each end. I remember unplugging the old one off the column but don't remember where it was connected on the opposite end. The instructions are vague and just say to connect the wire to the switch at the base of the column but not where the other end goes? Also the ignition switch on the column is bad. The previous owner had a jumper run with a toggle switch and a push button to start the truck. I had hoped that by replacing the wiring the problem would be resolved but its not. The ignition plunger is working because when I turn the key I can see it slide down into the switch but nothing happens. Am I better off just replacing the column or the switch itself. The turn signals seem stiff so I'd be surprised it it'll work properly too. I've been told that the ignition switch isn't a simple bolt on repair, that the column has to be opened up which is a big pain.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 07:58:53 PM by Magic1 »

Offline Magic1

• Registered Users
Re: Neutral safety switch
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 09:11:32 PM »
Figured it out. Up and running!

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Neutral safety switch
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 09:16:18 PM »
Cool!!!
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)