Author Topic: Engine Stutter  (Read 2496 times)

Offline 1973c20

Engine Stutter
« on: October 12, 2007, 08:34:46 PM »
I just recently rebuilt the top of my engine, including re-arranging the spark plug wires on the distributor (someone had a different arrangement). It idles much nicer than it did before, but when i press on the accelerator, the engine stutters and has a hard time revving. Would that be a carburetor problem or an ignition problem?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Engine Stutter
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 10:13:44 AM »
did you cross 2 wires? do you have any vacuum leaks? Did you hook your vacuum advance back up to ported vacuum or manifold vacuum? Did you set the timing correctly? Did you torque your carburetor on to specs using a new gasket? If you don't you can easily overtighten and warp the base. The long bolts are 7lb-ft (84lb-in) short bolts are 11lb-ft (132lb-in)
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 1973c20

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 05:41:29 PM »
Carb is torqued correctly with new gasket so I know it's not that. I also timed the distributor (with my new transparent cap  ;D) so thats good. I just put on the old spark plug wires and they are just laying on the valve covers and some on top of others lol, and I have to hook up the PCV hoses to both valve covers. I am goin to get new spark plug wires with some holders and some valve cover vents with the PCV vents so once I get those put on, I'll report back. I just wanted to get an idea of what could be the problem and when I put the parts on, and if it still stutters, then I'll know what to look at.

Offline 123 pugsy

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 06:12:11 PM »
I just recently rebuilt the top of my engine, including re-arranging the spark plug wires on the distributor (someone had a different arrangement). It idles much nicer than it did before, but when i press on the accelerator, the engine stutters and has a hard time revving. Would that be a carburetor problem or an ignition problem?

There's only 1 "arrangement " for the wires and that's in the proper firing order.

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 assuming its a small block.
Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline 1973c20

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 12:15:51 AM »
Of course there is only one true arrangement, but unless I somehow mislabeled the wires when I pulled them off, I'm quite certain that the wires were hooked up in a different order than true. Of course I could have also followed the wires wrong going from spark plug to distributor (some had quite a bit excess), but I thought I remember it being where 6 was before 1 (goin clockwise). Oh well, the point is I returned the wires to the original order and it idles good. I just need to finish hooking up the vacuum lines and putting on some new plug wires and seperators.

Offline 123 pugsy

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 05:16:44 AM »
Oh well, the point is I returned the wires to the original order and it idles good. I just need to finish hooking up the vacuum lines and putting on some new plug wires and seperators.

Glad to hear it. ;)
Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350