Author Topic: 81 Longbed 2wd to 4wd Conversion/ Frame off Restoration!  (Read 39355 times)

Offline ToreyC

Re: 81 Longbed 2wd to 4wd Conversion/ Frame off Restoration!
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 11:36:03 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm not opposed to bending my own lines. That may be a cheaper route. I'll have to do some research. Thanks for the tips. Just an update. I am still waiting to get my chassis down to the 4x4 guy. In the mean time, i have started body work on a 72 Super beetle that i have. I need to get it painted and put back together so i can sale it while my chassis is at the shop. I'll keep ya posted.
81 LWB 2WD converting to 4WD Chevy
85 SWB 2WD Chevy
2011 Chevy Suburban 4WD
2003 Chevy Express Van (Work Truck)

Without The Risk There Is No Reward

Offline ToreyC

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 12:22:13 AM »
Im taking a poll on what color to have my frame powder coated. I would really like some input on what everybody thinks. I originally was just going to do black, but i have seen another frame online that was blue(not the same color blue as my truck) but it looked really sweet. I will have to find out how much color powder coat will add to the bill, but i would really like some input if you guys have some time. Thanks.
85 SWB 2WD Chevy
2011 Chevy Suburban 4WD

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 05:17:09 PM »
If you are building a show truck, match the to the body, if you are building something you plan to drive, Black.

Offline ToreyC

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 11:51:19 PM »
Good Tip. I want something that i can drive. It will be a daily driver, but i want to be a head turner. I'm re-doing this truck from the ground up and i do'nt want to cut any corners. I want it to be very nice and i want it to last a long time.
85 SWB 2WD Chevy
2011 Chevy Suburban 4WD

Offline ToreyC

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 12:53:18 AM »
Just a small update. I got the frame down to the guy that is going to turn it into 4wd. I am going to go down on tuesday and help him with the tear down so we can see some good progress. I'll post some pics as we get started.
85 SWB 2WD Chevy
2011 Chevy Suburban 4WD

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 01:15:35 PM »
I got the frame down to the guy that is going to turn it into 4wd.

That's great. Take plenty of pictures of the conversion. I am guilty of not documenting that process, I wish I did. Pictures and details as you go would help people who are doing this or considering it.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline Engineer

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2011, 08:22:39 PM »
I voted for the silver frame. I think that would look cool with the blue body.

I am painting my '77 K-30 blue granite metallic with a gold metallic frame. I think it looks tough, and I have received many complements on match up of the two colors.

You should paint the frame silver if for no other reason than to separate yourself from all of the other blue trucks on the highway.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 8.1/ZF6sp RC/LB
2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0/4L85E EC/SB
1997 Chevy Blazer 4x4
1994 Chevy K-2500 4x4 C6P 5.7/4L80E
1979 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10
1977 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10 454

Dad of an Eagle Scout, and a Life Scout

Offline junkman.

• Registered Users
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 12:10:36 AM »
I voted for the silver frame. I think that would look cool with the blue body.

I am painting my '77 K-30 blue granite metallic with a gold metallic frame. I think it looks tough, and I have received many complements on match up of the two colors.

You should paint the frame silver if for no other reason than to separate yourself from all of the other blue trucks on the highway.

I think silver stays cleaner looking off road mud and dirt doesn't show so much
one of my trucks blue cab  frame and axles gunmetal gray with blue shocks

Offline ToreyC

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
I know it's been a long time, but things have been pretty crazy lately. Started snowing so work got busy for me, and the guy helping me with the truck has been slammed to. We did get the front end pulled out from under it and got the new 1 ton axle placed on jack stands under the frame. We have all of the measurements needed (we hope..haha) to get the front leaf spring hangers in place, then we will get the rear leaf springs mounted. We have to start making progress, because i want the conversion done, everything powdercoated, and the whole chassis put back together with the 12" lift by about jan. 20th, so we are going to buckle down on it next week. My camera broke, so i will take some pics with my phone as soon as i can. Thanks for the patients and thanks to everyone who has answered questions for me in other threads i have started.
85 SWB 2WD Chevy
2011 Chevy Suburban 4WD

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2011, 06:20:37 AM »
     Jan 20, that means you will have to buckle down.  Keep us posted.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline ToreyC

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2012, 03:34:16 PM »
As everyone learns, projects usually tend to take a lot longer then you hope.  This is no exception. We did not get to work on the truck for a quite a while, but really hit it hard friday and saturday evening. We got the custom front leaf spring hangers cut out, bent, and welded up. We had a lot of cutting and prying to get the old bumber brackets off of the front of the frame. My dad built a bumper and grill guard and decided it would be a good idea to use c-channel for the bracket. He placed the c-channel around the front of the frame and...you guessed it, welded it to the frame. Even filled in the holes for the factory bumper mounts with welds. Took some time, but we got it cleaned up. I also found a spot on the frame that where the bottom part of the c-channel frame had been bent down towards the ground, so we spent a good amount of time getting that straightened back out. We got the front front spring hangers measured and tacked in place. then measured for the rear hanger. We cut a hole through the frame and welded in a piece of 1and 1/4 pipe through the whole. Then we will put a bushing in the pipe be able to mount the leaf spring hanger. Still to come next week is fine tuning the placement of the engine crossmemeber and mounts and the transmission support. I do have some pics and will get them posted by this evening when i get to my office. I hope i didn't miss anything. THanks for looking.
85 SWB 2WD Chevy
2011 Chevy Suburban 4WD

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2012, 08:18:20 PM »
     WOW, sounds like Dad wanted to be able to run things over without damaging his truck.   ;D  Very glad to hear that you got it taken care of, and pics are always a welcomed site, visual progress pics are always better.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline ToreyC

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2012, 11:08:30 PM »
     WOW, sounds like Dad wanted to be able to run things over without damaging his truck.   ;D  Very glad to hear that you got it taken care of, and pics are always a welcomed site, visual progress pics are always better.

He lives in south Texas and there are a lot of deer on the highways. He actually hit one a few months ago in his work truck. If they didn't have grill guards down there, there trucks would always be messed up. This thing could have ran into a brick wall and wouldn't have hurt it a bit haha. I've been tryin to post pics for hours, but i can't get them small enough for this site to load them. I'm not giving up yet tho.
85 SWB 2WD Chevy
2011 Chevy Suburban 4WD

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2012, 11:21:37 PM »
     Go to photo bucket and load them, then link to to this site using the insert image icon under the "B" bold button.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline ToreyC

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2012, 11:40:56 PM »
http://s1169.photobucket.com/albums/r505/ToreyC21/

First time tryin to post pics from photobucket. Lets see if it works. Thanks for the tip bake74
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:49:58 PM by ToreyC »
85 SWB 2WD Chevy
2011 Chevy Suburban 4WD