Author Topic: Bad starter (solenoid)?  (Read 2161 times)

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Bad starter (solenoid)?
« on: April 27, 2021, 09:47:26 AM »
Bad starter or just the solenoid? It appears to be just the solenoid. Not every time, but very often upon turning the key I get one loud click (NOT the bad battery click). Then the 2nd or so attempt it cranks right over. All connections look good.
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Bad starter (solenoid)?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 03:01:57 PM »
Just get a lifetime warranty remanufactured starter. They're like $50 bucks.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Bad starter (solenoid)?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 03:12:34 PM »
Just get a lifetime warranty remanufactured starter. They're like $50 bucks.
Agreed again, “place order” it’s just too easy..... lol

Actually,, rock auto has a brand new AC Delco, for $70. You know me, rather have a factory fresh handcrafted at the GM plant in Detroit. Lol
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 03:32:05 PM by philo_beddoe »
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 05:45:45 PM »
That works too but the problem with rock auto is that if you have an issue, you're waiting for a mail order exchange. Things that can leave you stuck, I tend to get what my suppliers can get me a replacement for immediately.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 10:32:43 PM »
Agree with VZ! You should get a starter local so you don't have to deal with mail. Plus, they might make you pay postage to mail the bad one back or for the replacement, then the mail time. Too many local part stores with lifetime starters to go thru mail and they are probably less expensive than Rock Auto.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Bad starter (solenoid)?
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 09:24:30 AM »
Yeah, you both make very good points. I always try to buy local, O’ Reilly wanted way too much, and for some old fashioned reason, I like AC Delco parts. It’s arriving today anyway. I’ll take my chance this time, but I do HATE waiting and paying to mail back a part.

VZ, your only a half hour down the road from me, can you suggest a good local supplier, for most parts anyway....?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 09:27:50 AM by philo_beddoe »

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Bad starter (solenoid)?
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 02:10:56 PM »
Just arrived, I was kind of kidding about it being manufactured in the motor city, but it really is!

« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 02:12:51 PM by philo_beddoe »

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 04:41:29 PM »
Beware of counterfeit auto parts. They actually try harder to make them look legit. https://www.acdelco.com/counterfeit-auto-parts

ACDelco has been hit hard with the counterfeits. My buddy works for them and has shown me several examples including rockauto. I'm not saying yours is, just saying they have been a culprit in all of the rebadged junk. The NOS game is another HUGE place people are getting hosed. The box looks legit, has the GM stamp and people are laughing their way to the bank.

I would say you have 2 best options: 1) Who is closest to your work and do they have a contract or wholesale account you can pay COD with + tax? They'll typlically deliver to your door with online access through their commercial site. 2) Who is nearby your home and most convenient? Set up a business account with the store with NET 30 terms. They'll take better care of you than the guy off the street.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Bad starter (solenoid)?
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 10:25:35 PM »
Thanks for that info VZ, I did install it, and after a shim or two, it’s working just fine. We’ll see if it goes the distance. Of course that cheap plastic dust cover I had didn’t make it any easier, I believe you mentioned I should replace it back when you installed the engine. I removed it and now I’m having trouble finding a good aluminum or steel one. Know of a good source? Th350/400 (should be the same)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 10:33:16 PM by philo_beddoe »

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 06:28:35 AM »
Well if it's been on there all this time, I guess it's working right? I'm sure you can find a nicer one by googling away as there are a lot of aftermarket ones. I can't really endorse one over another but they sell em in black or chrome.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 07:25:58 PM »
Right, I’m looking for a good metal one. That cheap plastic one was too tight against the oil filter and starter.

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 10:47:43 PM »
Update, found a nice metal bell housing/flywheel cover. A few cuts here and there, and it fit right in nice. Had to work it around the starter, but we got it. Had to purchase on Amazon, I hate doing that, but they had the best price and options, and the right one.