Author Topic: Fuse Block Power  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Rcf

Re: Fuse Block Power
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2021, 09:24:32 AM »

Here we go, bd.

The picture of the firewall bulkhead connector you asked for.  This FBC may look exactly like it is supposed to, but I have a hard time reconciling the diagram to the actual connector.  You'll notice a green wire cut off.  I tested it and got nothing.  The diagram shows a purple wire from the clutch safety switch to the solenoid passing through the FBC.  The wire is supposed to be purple on both sides of FBC.  There is a appropriately sized purple wire in the bundle that disappears behind the fuse panel.  I've found no purple wire on the engine side of the FBC.  By the way, I don't know if I told you, I tested the connector for the clutch safety switch and got 12.6 when the key was put in the start position. 

Offline Rcf

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2021, 11:20:18 AM »

bd:  I found it - quite by accident, but................

First, let me make a few excuses - - when I bought this truck there were wires everywhere in the engine compartment.  The wires just for the plow and lights were spaghetti-like.  The pump for the bed was located there too, which only added to the wires.  As I disconnected I labeled everything, but the labeling was not as secure as it will be next time.  Anyway, I found an unaccounted for, unlabeled wire, and I did a continuity test through the purple wire on the clutch safety switch and viola!

On the picture of the FBC the wire is just below and just to the right of the top left wire.  Which makes me wonder, how do you connect wires to the connector?

Honestly, I don't think I could have done it without you.  Appreciate it!!

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2021, 04:03:32 PM »
That's great news!

FWIW, the schematic diagram matches your vehicle.  The problem you're having may be related to color fading of the wires.  See the attached image, below, for a sampling...

2E - (12-gauge red) ignition switch feed via 2A, et al, under the dash
2J - (12-gauge red) headlamp switch feed
3 - (12-gauge pink) HEI distributor feed
6 - (12-gauge purple) starter solenoid S terminal
29 - (16-gauge dark green) horn

Edit:  I should add, the bulkhead connectors are imaged from the terminal or mating faces of the connectors, so wire locations as illustrated are counter-intuitive.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 04:14:59 PM by bd »
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Rcf

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2021, 08:53:34 PM »

The wire you've numbered "6" is indeed the wire going to the solenoid.  From the diagram that wire appears to be pretty much in the middle.  Also, the wire is much larger than the purple wire on the cab side of the FBC.

Anyway, thanks again.  Will start putting the front on now.