Author Topic: Few electrical issues  (Read 2067 times)

Offline avaro

Few electrical issues
« on: February 26, 2019, 10:23:25 PM »
Hey folks I've been lurking awhile never posted till now. I bought an 85 c10 and I'm having a few electrical issues. I'll start off saying I'm not very mechanically inclined, but I'm eager to learn and not afraid of fixing some wiring. I swear the man that owned it before me was related to Edward Scissor hands I haven't found a wire that hasn't been cut, but I got it for a deal and its my dream vehicle.

Issue #1 was Intermittent, but now happens 100% of the time. I was blowing turn signal fuses every now and again and couldn't figure it out till it came back with a vengeance. Narrowed it down to going into reverse.

Issue #2 has been there since I got the truck gas gauge jumps erratically I mean really jumping not a gradual thing I've read about because of baffles. Only time it doesn't is when its full.

Issue #3 Every so often voltage will drop super low 8ish on gauge lights will dim and truck almost dies. Also have an intermittent miss I think is electrical related due to MSD ignition which was also butchered..

Anyone able to give me some pointers on what to troubleshoot/look for? Thanks everyone for your time.

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
Re: Few electrical issues
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 06:14:08 AM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 06:16:05 AM by Rapid Roy »
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline avaro

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 12:58:43 PM »
Looks like exactly like what mine was doing. Thanks!

Offline mercado1211

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 10:13:48 PM »
Check your grounds. I took the bed off my truck and forgot to attach a ground in the back for the rear lights and it wreaked havoc on my dash electricals till I reconnected it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1984 k10 LWB
1984 k5
1979 C10 SWB

Offline avaro

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 11:01:42 PM »
I'm going to redo all my grounds good practice. I'm going to replace my Neutral Safety Switch/Reverse Switch as well see if that fixes it. Thanks for the advise!
EDIT Forgot to mention in original post I've been having issues with my wipers they only seem to want to work in between speeds or fiddling with controls. My buddy seems to think it's switch in column. Whats your opinion? I need to disassemble column to put in Rack And Sector Gear in so may just end up replacing it as well, but if you guys think its something else let me know.

Here is a photo to see what you guy's are bringing back to life. :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 11:06:16 PM by avaro »

Offline avaro

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 11:24:47 PM »
Anyone able to ID these wires that are in bulkhead? Grey or Olive color can't tell green and black and blue wire in cab below column

« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 11:28:21 PM by avaro »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 11:21:10 AM »
the wires on the passengers side are for the engine/gauges the drivers side are for the lights
cant say "this is what theyre for" but heres the pin out for the dash
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=31456.0

and heres the wiring manual
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=11766.msg87585#msg87585
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes