Author Topic: which muffler??  (Read 18492 times)

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: muffler
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2005, 12:55:00 PM »
When I worked at the local oil / lpg co. thats all we used on the big trucks and they never came lose unless some simpleton ran the pipe into something. I do know a guy that runs a bead of high temp rtv silicone along both edges of his band clamps.  

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2005, 04:26:00 PM »
I am sure they work in a Big truck environment, but this Z28 has a 6L in it and was built for a big turbo and lots of rpms.  In addition (more contribution for them not working) when he came back, we found there was about a 1" gap between one of the pipes after you had to press it as close together as you possibly could.  The system was already under tension and then he was trying to clamp it together.  I guess I would just rather weld them or put a good connector on it.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2005, 07:44:00 PM »
Last year I ran a 4" exhaust on my Duramax and they were reccommended. Maybe I better check to see if anything loosened up. (But not tonite. It's raining cats and dogs around here.)

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2005, 07:53:00 AM »
I wouldn't use them to but two pipes together. The pipes still need to be fitted inside one another.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline ChevyGuy

• Frequent Member
hmmm
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2005, 09:45:00 PM »
Shadetree mechanic it!!!!! It always works with a torch and a 110 wire feed welder.

Offline bowtieguy

• Registered Users
  • Country as a Cow Pie
Re: hmmm
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2005, 02:09:00 PM »
who needs a welder!  Just the torch!!!  Get it red hot so all slides together and use some bailing wire to hold it up!!!

:rollin  

Toys:
89 Black Lesabre T 62k miles
03 Lesabre Celebration Edition
08 NNBS CC Z71 LTZ
79 Flat BlackChevy C-10  5.3/4L60E

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2005, 08:08:00 PM »
Or just the torch and an old coat hanger, weld it up!

Offline 85c10

• Registered Users
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2005, 08:21:00 PM »
when i got my exhaust done one pipe slid into the other and he got some of them pipe clamps and used an impact on them then he welded a little bit of it
Shane

1985 chevy c-10 silveraldo

Offline TRUCK6DRIVER

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2005, 04:49:00 PM »
SUPER GLUE!!!   No wait it was DUCT TAPE!!!   yea thats the ticket.  

Seriously guys do it right the first time. Take it to a muffler shop and have it mig welded in.

I like the sound of a dynomax super turbo.
My 2 cents

RH

Edited by: TRUCK6DRIVER at: 6/17/05 3:50 pm

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
MUFFLER
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2005, 12:08:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I got some good ideas.  I ordered the pipe expander.  Unsure of the clamps yet, heck i may take it to shop to get it welded once it is in place...it can't cost too much for that.  But then again, i am kind of getting used to the loud system now.  My wife thinks i am turning into a redneck, i said, "turning? where have you been?" Yehaaww!  Get down on that sucker and wear ear plugs.

It is after all, street legal.  In Va, all we need to pass inspections is the cat on it.  No muffler needed if you have a cat. It just gives me better reason to turn the stereo up louder.

Edited by: SgtDel at: 6/21/05 11:10 am

Offline 1976Scottsdale

Re: MUFFLER
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2005, 10:25:00 PM »
I would recomend the flowtech terminator.  A nice, deep rumbly, but not too loud.  It gives your truck a nice, loud floored take off, but when cruising, it is pretty quiet.  I am running mine with a dynomax 2.25 dual kit and my dad likes it better than his flowmaster 40's.

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2005, 12:14:00 PM »
Roundedline-I'll bet it was fun tryin to fill a 1" gap with weld.:lol
Just kidding- I'm guessing you used a connector.

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2005, 11:18:00 AM »
DnStClr he didn't want it welded.  So we had to put the stupid band clamps back on.  It lasted roughly the same amount of time that it did the first time but I told him drive it slow and take it easy on the way home and you will make it.  He chose to get into it and blew the system off.  

Funny thing is when he came back the first time after it fell off, he told me the turbo was bad.  I asked him how could the turbo possibly go bad.  He said because I can't get any boost anymore.  Then I had to explain to him that he lost the exhaust, so there is nothing to spin the turbo anymore...  DUH!!!

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline 87swb

• Frequent Member
mufflers
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2005, 02:31:00 PM »
well since we are talkin' about mufflers, what do the cherry bomb mufflers that you buy at auto zone sound like? they have 2 kinds the regular cherry bombs and the turbo 2 cherry bombs. anyone know what they sound like? i want something that sounds like flowmasters but not as high. right now i have a TBI 305 with headers and a 2 and a quarter inch pipes with glasspacks, and they sound good but if i didn't know any better i'd say they slowed my truck down and hurt my gas mileage as compared to those Flotech raptors i had on there which i took off because they were tooooo quiet for me but were a good muffler for 16 bucks. any ideas anyone???

Offline solopitdgmn

Heres a link
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2005, 01:14:00 PM »
www.pypesexhaust.com/

Try this link and see if it helps with your decision. Their just a flowmaster knockoff.